All grain starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrisbrewbeers

Reaction score
When I brewed today I collected 3 mason jars of wort for yeast starters in the future. I microwaved them and the tops sucked in. Do I need to put in refrigerator?

When I brewed today I collected 3 mason jars of wort for yeast starters in the future. I microwaved them and the tops sucked in. Do I need to put in refrigerator?

I can't give a definitive yes or no, but my thought is this: canning will not kill every single microbe. That's why canned foods still have a shelf life.

Do you need to refrigerate it? No. But it will last longer if you do.

Those are good points..... It really only has to last 1 or 2 weeks. I fairly certain this will save me the ordeal of making a dme starter. If this works I will never bother with that.

On that short of a timeline, I don't think it will matter whether refrigerated or not. But if it was me I would keep it cold and I would boil before making the starter. Your call, though.

It boiled from the 2 min in microwave. I think it will be fine. The worst thing I have done to contaminate my beer is not use enough hops so far. I am very careful though.

I sincerely hope you didn't microwave the mason jars with the metal tops on them.

This did not work, today all three jars had a foam layer. One of them put a dent in the top of the mason jar. It smelled bad too. I hope I didn't ruin my brew.... The one I used did visibly boil when I added the room temp top up water. I used two week old Wlp 090 slurry, about 200 ml.

Back