Adding Knockout Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

growlcrowl

Reaction score
How do all of you add knockout hops? I've always thought you want to chill as quickly as possible to lock in hop flavors & aroma and decrease the amount of DMS precursor in your wort, but I've been reading about steeping knockout hops during the whirlpool.

What do you do?

I turn the flame off and add the hops, stir and start the plate chiller. Hops are in wort for as long as it takes to fill 2 fermenters. About 6-7 minutes.

Turn off the flame and dump them in....then start my chiller.

You should driven away all the dms precursors during your boil, so that's not something to worry about.

I guess my main question was how long do you let them steep before starting your chiller? I read in brewing classic styles among other places to let them steep for several minutes in hot, non boiling wort before starting to chill.

I guess my main question was how long do you let them steep before starting your chiller? I read in brewing classic styles among other places to let them steep for several minutes in hot, non boiling wort before starting to chill.

You can, but I don't. It depends on how you're chilling, of course. If you're using an immersion chiller, for example, the hops will steep for about 20 minutes or so until the wort is chilled anyway. I use a CFC, so I recirculate a few minutes to get my temp to 140ish, and then start to the fermenter.

If you're using a plate chiller or a CFC with one pass, you could let it sit for a few minutes to steep before you start chilling. That will also give some time for the break material to fall out, too. It's not necessary, but you may get more hops aroma that way.

Many craft breweries use "whirlpool hops" and they whirlpool the hot wort with those flame out additions before chilling- usually for about 20 minutes or so.

It usually takes about 7-10 minutes for my wort to chill down to about 120° or so. I use an immersion chiller. So for me it works out just right to dump in my "flameout" hops.

You can, but I don't. It depends on how you're chilling, of course. If you're using an immersion chiller, for example, the hops will steep for about 20 minutes or so until the wort is chilled anyway. I use a CFC, so I recirculate a few minutes to get my temp to 140ish, and then start to the fermenter.

If you're using a plate chiller or a CFC with one pass, you could let it sit for a few minutes to steep before you start chilling. That will also give some time for the break material to fall out, too. It's not necessary, but you may get more hops aroma that way.

Many craft breweries use "whirlpool hops" and they whirlpool the hot wort with those flame out additions before chilling- usually for about 20 minutes or so.

So if I was to let them steep, I wouldn't need to worry about proudcing any DMS precursor? I use a whirlpool chiller.

So if I was to let them steep, I wouldn't need to worry about proudcing any DMS precursor? I use a whirlpool chiller.

Keep the lid off of course, and don't let it sit too long. I'd probably just start chilling, since the whirlpool chiller method keeps the wort and hops together anyway. It's only because going into my CFC the hops are strained out that I recirculate for a bit.

It will take anywhere between 20 minutes and an hour to chill depending on how you chill, that's how long they stay in. They really give up all that essential goodness briefly, probably only 20 minutes or so anyway. So it doesn't really matter if they are in 15 minutes or an hour, or if you dump everything in your fermenter as long as they are in there. We do flame out so not to drive off all the good hop aromas, but those compounds are only going to be given off for a short time. It really isn't an exact science, not is it something you need to over think....you just drop them in, they do their job while your wort cools, and that's that.

Back