Adding fruit to a kegged Kolsch? Crazy idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cincybrewer

Reaction score
Okay so not sure if this would be any good at all or not but I have a Kolsch that has been in my fridge lagering (in a keg - carbonated) for a while now and I've been batting around the idea of making a fruit beer for the summer. So I just thought, would it be possible to fill a 1 gallon jug with some blueberries or strawberries and then fill it up with some of the Kolsch as a test batch? I have the Bowie Bottle filler so I could probably do it without adding too much oxygen, but I didn't know if the carbonation and the fact that it's been in secondary for a while now would have any detrimental affects. Thoughts? Stupid idea?

Are you planning on it fermenting? Will it plug the lines on you keg?

You may be better off just adding some of the fruit flavoring liquid.

+1 on the flavoring extract at this point. I think it would be interesting though to add some fruit to a secondary and let it sit on it for a couple weeks. Worst case, you make beer. Every great brew I have ever had came from a brewer who asked him/herself, "Why can't I..."

I added a bunch of bugs and malto to a klosch. I will let you know how it is in 1 year. Maybe we could an off centered klosch off :)

Sorry, my title is a little misleading, I didn't mean actually adding fruit to the keg. I would add the fruit to a 1 gallon glass jug and transfer and already fermented and carbonated Kolsch to the jug from the keg.....From there I'm not sure how I would get it out. Maybe bottle them I guess. I guess I could also transfer back to a separate keg.

I think I have decided to add some strawberries (frozen) to a 1/2 gallon jug and transfer some kegged Kolsch to it? Why? I don't have time to brew and I need to get my fix doing something. So with that being said, anyone know how much fruit I should add? And should I just thaw it out and add it to the sanitized jug?

Did you ever do this and how did it come out?

I want to try this same thing, I've got 1gal of kolsch in a 1gal fermentor begging something funky...Fruit or dry hops

Did you ever do this and how did it come out?

I want to try this same thing, I've got 1gal of kolsch in a 1gal fermentor begging something funky...Fruit or dry hops

Sorry, I just now saw this. No, I never did add anything to it. It was pretty darn good itself and I just never got around to it for only 1 gallon of beer. I think it would have been pretty good with strawberries though.

Back