Adding food color!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbird

Reaction score
Mmmm with the college football season coming up I was thinking of doing something very interesting. What if I added food coloring to a beer? I know it usual does not make other foods taste different,like bake goods. I was thinking of a light colored beer to use and red food coloring, for Ohio State.
When should I add it? How much do you think? Any brands better then others?
It should work they have green beer at Saint Patricks Day. What do you think?

I was thinking more along the lines of cardinal, then pouring a gold colored beer over it for a cardinal and gold "black and tan"

Fight on

Mmmm with the college football season coming up I was thinking of doing something very interesting. What if I added food coloring to a beer? I know it usual does not make other foods taste different,like bake goods. I was thinking of a light colored beer to use and red food coloring, for Ohio State.

First off, I'm all for an OSU beer. Go Buckeyes! Here's a beer I did last year and did yet again this year.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/food-coloring-yeast-268839/

I used extra light DME so the beer was close to clear. I then used 1 oz. of food coloring per 5.5 gallons at bottling. I hope this helps!

First off, I'm all for an OSU beer. Go Buckeyes! Here's a beer I did last year and did yet again this year.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/food-coloring-yeast-268839/

I used extra light DME so the beer was close to clear. I then used 1 oz. of food coloring per 5.5 gallons at bottling. I hope this helps!

Interesting...good to know the amounts...i was going to wing it and pour 22oz into a cup and color it until its right, then add that much to each bottle and bottle on top of the food coloring.

Im planning on making a new mother cry with my beer....:ban::mug:

She obviously cant drink now, but loves Blue Moon....so if its a boy, its blue colored Hefe, girl make it pink.... thank god its a beer style that should be easy to color. Pretty sure i'm going to win tons of kudos points.

Sorry, but up here it is Red,Blue, or Green, Not really interested in the "Pansy" kids that can't play football when the temp drops below 60°;)

Because the SEC hasn't won six national championships in a row.

Woo Pig Sooie

Or you could just trade in a tOSU jersey to get a set of beer glasses tattooed... then, when your wife asked who paid for all the tats, lie to her and say you don't know anything about it - but keep the e-mails as evidence.

Seems to be the SOP around those parts...

I did this for St. Patrick's day. I added 3 drops of green to each bottle (12oz) at bottling. I would probably go an extra drop or two next time as it wasn't as dark as I would have wanted. Your plan to add to 22oz of beer is solid, though.

We have done it for making a orange beer by coloring a blond beer orange with food grade coloring.
If I recall we used 50 ml on a batch of 30 liter

I believe this is why the thread was started.

it was just a sarcastic comment, but on topic lately i have been seeing bars add food colouring a lot, when its dark in a club they are adding weird purples and blues and stuff to make it stand out and look 'cooler'

Carotenoids are plant pigments which are responsible for bright red, yellow and orange color in many fruits and vegetables. These pigments have an important role in plant health. People who eat foods containing carotenoids have protective health benefits as well. Carotenoids can be produced from red pepper, which is dried and then ground. So to get red color , You can use it for Natural Food Colouring. Carotenoids gives a orange-red colour to food or beverage.

Back