Adding candi syrup to the fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockdemon

Reaction score
So, im going to try adding candisyrup after 2-3 days instead of adding it to the boil. I got myself a bottle of brewferm dark belgian. Do i just pour it in? will it dissolve anyway? Im picturing it just dropping to the bottom of the bucket... ANd i guess i dont have to boil the syrup or something like that, its an unompened bottle so it should be quite sterile right?

yes, it will be sterile. i've never had any issues with adding it directly to a fermenting beer.

dissolving it is a bit tricky. i have only used syrup that comes in pouches. what i've done is add some hot (but not boiling) water to the pouch, shaken it up, poured out some of the liquid, added more hot water, etc. in all i add maybe 3 or 4 cups of water. seems to work, i've never found a pile of undigested syrup after racking off the beer. who knows, maybe this is overkill... has anyone tried adding it directly, straight out of the container?

I haven't done this exact syrup, but I've added honey straight to the fermenter. Once I microwaved the honey for 30 seconds it was "syruppy" I would say. I just poured slow and stirred while doing it. Stir slow and pour slow and you should be fine. Since it's only 2-3 days in, your only disturbing trub at the bottom that will settle out right away again also. Good luck.

hmm, maybe stirring it would do. but really carefully right? I guess I dont want more oxygen to the beer. either that or mixing it with some preboiled water and dissolve it there and then pour it in... hmmmm

I just add my honey directly in the primary at high Krausen...No stirring, mixing, or messing. The yeast are active and healthy so they will find the sugar especially in that high of concentration.

Regardless of what method you take they will al work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just add my honey directly in the primary at high Krausen...No stirring, mixing, or messing. The yeast are active and healthy so they will find the sugar especially in that high of concentration.

Regardless of what method you take they will al work just fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

High krausen is when its foaming right? I just realized that Ive only assumed that its that part of the fermentation :)

Latest posts

Back