Added Hops in Reverse Order......what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
Brewed a True brew Bock kit last night, and realized at the final hop addition that I had added the aroma hops at the begining of the boil rather than at the end. I went ahead and added the bittering hops for the last couple of minutes because it was all I had. Should I just leave things be, or do I need to dry hop when I move to secondary?

Not much you can do now...

But post what did do v. what you were supposed to do so we can laugh at you. Just kidding; we may be able to help out....

It probably won't matter much with a Bock.

Not much you can do now...

But post what did do v. what you were supposed to do so we can laugh at you. Just kidding; we may be able to help out....

It probably won't matter much with a Bock.

That was funny.

Serious, there's not much you can do now.

You can call it "Backwards (name of recipe)"

E

Yeah, definitely RDWHAHB. knowing the recipe/modification would help, but a lot of the time, a hop can be a bittering or an aroma hop, depending on the time boiled. I definitely would not worry about it, but I'm sure it would not taste as intended. Maybe you will like it better than the intended result....

Dude, I did the same exact thing with my first home brew!

FWIW, I am brewing up an Irish stout from a kit. Ingredients are:
fermentables:
3.3 lbs dark LME
2.0 lbs dark DME
0.5 lbs maltodextrin
grains:
12oz caramel 60L
4oz roasted barley
4oz black patent
Hops:
1oz bittering
.5oz aroma
Yeast:
1 sachet

I added the aroma hops to the boil, and bitter hops at the end (last 5 mins of boil)

Can anyone comment on how this will affect the flavor?

I would wager, that when you take your first sip, and then your second.. you exclaim, "wow! this is really good!"

Can anyone comment on how this will affect the flavor?

The bittering hops are for exactly what you think, making your beer bitter to balance the malt flavor. This is based off of the alpha acidity (aa) which is how potent the bittering is, indicated by %. The bittering hops usually have a higher AA and aroma hops generally have a lower AA. Some hops can be used either way. Basically if your aroma hops have a significantly lower AA, you're beer might not have a balanced malt/bitterness resulting in a sweeter beer. Chances are it will be ok.

yep, you made beer. Not the beer you set out to make, but beer all the same. Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Next time, try it the other way around, save a bottle or two of batch one, and you can compare the hop characteristics.

Back