3rd Brew 1st Wheat!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joaoking

Reaction score
Made my first wheat beer today. An Orange Wheat finished today at about 3:30 pm. Finished up at a 1.063 OG but the great thing was the rapid bubbling I just saw. About 10pm and I was curious as to how it was going and found my airlock bubbling like a jacuzzi! Here are some pics. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401082726.021225.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401082742.333212.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401082758.955400.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1401082776.936499.jpg
http://youtu.be/iRGyZuydS3E

Just thought I would share my day!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Checked on this last night the temps have been high here recently in San Diego and the fermi meter showed 78 degrees, should only have been a day at that temperature. I rigged up a swamp cooler and got it down to 62 hopefully I didn't screw this up!

I have the same burner and pot. Have since moved to a 10gal pot, but the burner still works well for the cheap price tag. Hard to tell from photos, but that crush doesn't look so great. See if there is a way you can get a better crush next time. Maybe a double crush would help.

Definitely watch those temps early on. The first 3-4 days are crucial. Keeping the temps in check at that point is the most important time. After that, not as big of a deal.

What yeast did you use? I'm a huge fan of Wyeast 3068 weisenhimeorwhatever :)

I used a Safbrew 06 dry wheat yeast! Tried to stay as simple as possible as I have much to learn. I was disappointed in the crush too I wish I ran it through the crusher one more time. Whatever happens as long as it tastes like beer I can't complain. I should have started with the swamp cooler instead of risking the high temp. Where did you get your 10 gallon pot if you don't mind me asking?

Amazon. They have really cheap aluminum pots. I should have gone with the 15 gallon. Oh well.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CHKL68/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

It doesn't fit within the ring on the burner but sits ok on top of it. The only adjustment you need to do is trick the burner sensor. There are two wires above/behind the starter button. You have to disconnect them and tape them together creating a constant circuit. It's a security feature in case the pot tips. The little button under the pot lifts up and kills the gas. All you're doing is bypassing that safety button. Very easy. Takes 2 minutes tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.fermentis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/SFBWB06.pdf

I just used that yeast for my American honey ale, and like it for the most part. I've always used WLP 320 but it was fairly low in attenuation unlike this one.

You'll notice the temp range goes up to 77* so you're likely OK. That is if you don't mind banana flavors. It does state the ideal range is up to 75* though. Banana flavors start at 73* is states.

I fermented mine in the mid 60's and get a somewhat clove-like taste.

I hope the banana taste is minimal, if there is one thing I hate it's bananas

I've yet to find it, but it's not what I'd want either.

Hopefully it's minimal and the clove takes over.

It seems to have taken a little time for the clove flavor to be more noticeable in mine. It doesn't exactly clash with the honey flavor, but it's not exactly complimentary either. I think I'll not use this one for this again, though I've been playing with the idea of mixing yeast strains, but it's too likely to change over time, and I usually keep my yeast going.

I forgot to mention that it's not a cloudy beer. I expected it to be. I'm ok with that.

I've read that American wheat styles are not so cloudy in comparison to the likes of a hef. I was even considering cold crashing at the end of fermentation. Any thoughts?

With WB-06 it doesn't seem necessary, though it certainly cannot hurt.

I've only used WLP 320 previously, and it was rather cloudy, though called an American Hefe strain.

Being only my 3rd session, I have never had clear beer the first being a pale ale and the 2nd being a black IPA. It will be beer regardless of clarity I thought I would give it a shot.

I've never cold crashed as I don't have the room for 6 gals of fermentor. I'd likely give it a try if I could.

Have you ever left your bottled beer in the fridge for long? A week seems to do well, and more time even better.

Popped a bottle and it is very tasty!ImageUploadedByHome Brew1403668775.435152.jpg
Thank you all for the tips!

Back