3/4 full Growler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Onetime

Reaction score
I only have two brews under my belt. I bottled last week and one of the bottles i used was a large flip top growler. I only got it 3/4 full because it was my last fill.

?: will this bottle take longer to carb and is it bad to have such a large headspace in bottle?
Any advice would be appreciative.
Good Times

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

The growler may have less carbonation than the other bottles because of the large headspace. The headspace will fill with CO2 to protect the beer from oxidation.
A problem might arise with the container. Growlers aren't usually designed to withstand carbonation pressures. Give this one 4 to 5 days for carbonation to start forming then chill it for few days. Just for safety drink this one on the green side.
A second option if that doesn't sound to appealing. Put the growler in a sturdy container that will contain the glass if it blows. Bottle condition for a few weeks and then, handling very gently, get it chilled.

Wow, thanks for the heads up!!!! By placing it in the Frig does that lessen the chance of it blowing (bottle bomb)?

My friend has been bottling in flip top growlers (thick glass) for years now. Not to say it can't/won't happen, but I think it may depend on several factors.

He even over carbed one which blew out the gasket. It was stretched out. The gasket was replaced and put back into use.

I haven't used growlers because I can't be certain that they'll work.

Chilling carbonated beer reduces the pressure.

I only have two brews under my belt. I bottled last week and one of the bottles i used was a large flip top growler. I only got it 3/4 full because it was my last fill.

?: will this bottle take longer to carb and is it bad to have such a large headspace in bottle?
Any advice would be appreciative.
Good Times

Don't use a growler to prime beer. Growlers are used to hold already carbonated beer, which only has a small portion of the pressure involved with bottle conditioning beer. Thats why they get to have all those fancy and structurally weak curves and handles. I'm not saying it will blow, but it certainly could.

Guys, thanks for answering up on my post. Not going to lie, i was a bit nervous to open the Growler. I opened it and it hissed and a missty cloud came out the top.

I have learn a valuable lesson in Home Brewing.

Good news is that it tastes pretty good.

The beer has been dumped( safety first).

Last ?: when bottling and u get down to the last bit of beer is it safe to fill a 12oz or 22oz bottle 1/2 or 3/4 full. What is the general rule on head space.

I currently use a bottle wand and when it reaches the top i pull out to leave space.

Once again, thanks for your responses

This was my question too.

I filled my bottle 2/3 of the way. I suppose I will find out in 5 weeks.

The beer has been dumped( safety first).

Last ?: when bottling and u get down to the last bit of beer is it safe to fill a 12oz or 22oz bottle 1/2 or 3/4 full. What is the general rule on head space.

I currently use a bottle wand and when it reaches the top i pull out to leave space.

Once again, thanks for your responses

I have filled bottles to two-thirds and three-quarters. No difference in carbonation pressures. Half or less I drink after clean up.

Why'd u dump it? Should have drank it...

Back