1st batch done what now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuchem

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm new here. But tonight I drank the 1 St beer I ever made. An American cream ale. Boy did it turn out smooth and crisp. I love it. I'm definitely hooked on beer making now. But I was wondering what a good next step would be. Maybe a red ale. I did the cream ale from a recipe kit. This time I think I could do it from bulk ingredients. What would you all recommend?

could recommend, but don't know what you like. the possibilities are endless.

best bet would be to click on the RECIPES link and find a style you like and read every thread, every post in it. Stick to the recipes' instructions until you're more comfortable with your equipment and technique, then start making your own recipes and going all Mad Scientist

& brew what YOU like.

& welcome to the obsession!

Thank you for the advice
I like red and light ales. Not a big ipa fan. I feel like too much hopps is gross. I would like to make a lager but no fridge to do it in at the moment. I also really like pumpkin ales. So I was thinking of maybe trying that. I also have started making hard cider. Could I maybe make an apple ale? Does that exist? I really appreciate the help btw

1. Keep trying various kits
2. Formulate a base by which you can start experimenting
3. Search other people's recipies for one you might like

plenty of entries in the RECIPES sections, under CIDERS and FRUIT BEERS

but I'm not the one for advice there. I haven't hit the Mad Scientist stage yet

plenty of entries in the RECIPES sections, under CIDERS and FRUIT BEERS

but I'm not the one for advice there. I haven't hit the Mad Scientist stage yet

OK awesome I will check it out. Sorry for asking so many questions. There is so much info on this site its a tad overwhelming at first

If you want to try something somewhat like an Apple-beer, run a search for BrandonO's Graff. Pretty tasty stuff. Other than that, brew what you like to drink, and try not to bite of more than you can chew (though it can make for some fun brew days)

Cheers!

I would recommend cramars steps.
Use kits until you will get the basics down good!For example I didn't know about off flavors and right brewing temperatures until my 3'rd kit brew.After the basics find a base on which you could start experimenting.

I would recommend cramars steps.
Use kits until you will get the basics down good!For example I didn't know about off flavors and right brewing temperatures until my 3'rd kit brew.After the basics find a base on which you could start experimenting.

OK I get what you are saying. I guess I'll check out the kits next time I'm at the store.

Well I've decided to make another batch of cider for now. Once I drink the rest of my cream ale I think I will get another cream ale kit and kinda doctor it up into an apple cream ale. I think cider is a better option for the time being as I really enjoy it. I enjoy beer as well but cider more so I guess. Maybe its time to get more fermentation containers lol

i made a hefewiezen and a cream ale, but what really got me hooked was an oatmeal stout... try one of those bad boys... amazing beers. Since that one I've had a hard on for all stouts, trying any stout I could. I'm brewing a chocolate stout right now. Just an idea...

ssuchem said:
Well I've decided to make another batch of cider for now. Once I drink the rest of my cream ale I think I will get another cream ale kit and kinda doctor it up into an apple cream ale. I think cider is a better option for the time being as I really enjoy it. I enjoy beer as well but cider more so I guess. Maybe its time to get more fermentation containers lol

Why not try micro batching? If you brew a 5 gallon batch, make 5 variations at one gallon each. You would just need to find carboys that are about 1.25 gallons since a normal carboy would expose your beer to too much oxygen. This would allow you to try 5 different but similar beers side by side. You could really get a better idea of what you like and don't like in your beer.

Why not try micro batching? If you brew a 5 gallon batch, make 5 variations at one gallon each. You would just need to find carboys that are about 1.25 gallons since a normal carboy would expose your beer to too much oxygen. This would allow you to try 5 different but similar beers side by side. You could really get a better idea of what you like and don't like in your beer.

That's a good idea. I'm not a big fan of ipas I know that much. Too hoppy for me. I like lighter to red ales and dark lagers. Unfortunately no room in which to brew a lager. But I like the idea of racking multiple batches out of one big batch

Back