Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > 1st all grain...broke hydrometer...sg question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2009, 03:34 AM   #1
bctdi
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default 1st all grain...broke hydrometer...sg question

Well I just brewed my 1st all grain and after I took a sg reading of my wort which was 1.059 for 7.5 gallons...my hydrometer broke before I could check sg post boil, so can someone tell me if sg changes after the boil?According to my recipe my o.g should be 1.070.This was a 5 gallon batch w/ 14 lbs of grain.I ended up with 5 gallons after the boil , but I would like to figure my abv, and efficiency...should I just use me preboil sg reading?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Blender
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Yes the gravity goes up as the water evaporates out of the wort. I would go with what the software tells you and call it good. Consider getting a refractometer to take your gravities during the brew, they are nice, quick and easy.

Gary

Old 04-22-2009, 03:44 AM   #3
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Take out a couple cups of your post boil wort (before adding yeast) and stash in the fridge until you can get another hydrometer. Even if you added yeast, keeping it cold should retard fermentation.

I think it's reasonable that a 1059 beer moved pretty close to 1070 after a 2.5 gallon boil off.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
bctdi
Recipes 

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.It's too late to set aside some cause it's already in the fermentor, but I'll do that next time if my hyd brakes again.It's my third brew and my second broken hydrometer.What's with these freakin cheap ass hydrometers anyway???I need to find an unbreakable one.I checked the sg of the wort and got 1.046....and almost had a bird.I thought 14 lbs of grain should get me higher but then I remembered to adjust for the temp of my hot wort, then came up with 1.059.I appreciate the help, looks like this brew is gonna be just fine

Old 04-22-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Duckfoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

It isn't so much the cheapness of said hydrometers, it is the fact that some of us -cough cough- are a little less than, shall we say gentle with delicate glass objects... Just stock up on two next time... You are sure to bust another one at some point...

Good Luck!

On deck : DFB Triple Black Death By Chocolate Stout
Primary: Notta...
Secondary: 21 Year Mead...
Kegged : DFB Belgian Pale, DFB Brown, DFB Belgian Dark Strong, DFB Cider...
------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
Non-Alcoholic beer is like going down on your cousin, it might taste the same but it just ain’t right!

Old 04-22-2009, 04:21 AM   #6
bctdi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckfoot View Post
It isn't so much the cheapness of said hydrometers, it is the fact that some of us -cough cough- are a little less than, shall we say gentle with delicate glass objects... Just stock up on two next time... You are sure to bust another one at some point...

Good Luck!
point taken....note to self...protect the hydro at all costs.

Old 04-22-2009, 04:39 AM   #7
BarleyWater

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you have a hydrometer and a refractometer, you can take a reading with both when the beer is done and figure out what the OG and ABV are.

Fermenting: Nada
On Tap:Cran Wit, Dr Pepper Dubbel, Cascadian Pale Ale, Dark Chocolate Stout, Imperial Stout, Brown Mild, Schwarzbier
On Board: IIPA

www.franconiabrewing.com

Old 04-22-2009, 05:07 AM   #8
becksbolero2
Recipes 

In my short brewing career I have spent more money on those F'ing hydrometers then I have on hops.......ridiculous

Old 04-22-2009, 05:09 AM   #9
Ketchepillar
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Converting from pre-boil gravity to post-boil gravity should be a pretty straight forward math equation. gravity=concentration of sugars & stuff and you have 3 of 4 numbers, so just solve for the other. 7.5/5=1.5; 1.5*59=1.088. Note possible complications: wort occupies different volumes at different temps, so if your 7.5 and 5 gal figures are both at 212F then you're fine, otherwise you can adjust for that. Also, what temp did you take you're pre-boil reading at? If it was around 170F, then you need to adjust for that. But then I think you would have a ridiculously high SG, probably over 100% efficiency, so you must have cooled it. Anyways, keep those things in mind. Hope that helps.

Up Next: Coffee Stouts, Brett Beers, More Sours, Quad, Brown
Primary: Sour
Secondary: Sour
On Tap:
Bottled: The Queenella Dugbe RIS, Avlan RIS,

Old 04-22-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
bctdi
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketchepillar View Post
Converting from pre-boil gravity to post-boil gravity should be a pretty straight forward math equation. gravity=concentration of sugars & stuff and you have 3 of 4 numbers, so just solve for the other. 7.5/5=1.5; 1.5*59=1.088. Note possible complications: wort occupies different volumes at different temps, so if your 7.5 and 5 gal figures are both at 212F then you're fine, otherwise you can adjust for that. Also, what temp did you take you're pre-boil reading at? If it was around 170F, then you need to adjust for that. But then I think you would have a ridiculously high SG, probably over 100% efficiency, so you must have cooled it. Anyways, keep those things in mind. Hope that helps.
my preboil sg was 1.046 at a temp of 130 deg. f.so That's how I came up with 1.059.Of course the 5 gallons is what went into the fermentor, there might have been 1/2 a gallon or so of sludge left in the brewpot below the level of the outlet valve.

Quick Reply