1st all grain atempt.: missed OG. what should I do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
so, I tried my hand at the "brew in a bag" method of all grain. It went well, except my OG was way off. Recipe stated 1.039 og. Im at 1.020 right now. Kinda buggin out about it. What should I do here? Hopefully I wont waste this batch.

Do you have any extract around? You can add about a pound and that should get you close......

Otherwise get it in the fermenter and call it a session ale.

Some keys to BIAB:

1. Stir like crazy. Stir every 10 minutes or so.

2. Hit your temps and maintain them.

3. Squeeze the heck out of the grain bag when done. Capture all that sugary goodness into your pot. This will add several points to your gravity.

4. If you still have problems, boil longer to reach your target FG.

I would not add any of that malt as it will be too dark.

Another one is to make sure the crush is pretty fine and you don't have to worry about stuck sparges of course.

would It be bad to throw an airlock on the primary, and wait til tmw. to pitch so I can get some lighter extract?

ya, the boil is DONE. My gravity reading before pitch was way low. Its currently sitting in the primary. Airlocked.

I would hold off pitching the yeast. Brew a second batch tomorrow that is double strong and mix them. The two blended batches will be perfect.

ok cool. How should I store todays wort? I have it at room temp. in a primary with an airlock. Is it safe? Should I just reboil it a bit to sanitize it tmw.?

How long did you mash and how much grain?You should be hitting close to 80 percent efficiency with proper techniques.

Yikes, not the greatest brew day...I would chalk it up as an experience. You could try saving the beer but it'll be weaker than a bud lite, or add some extract (you'll need to boil and cool, but I would do this over anything else), or add it to another batch as trainsafe suggested (however if you brew another BIAB, you might end up with poor extraction again).

Do a bit of research on how to BIAB and you should be able to figure out where you need improvement. There is lots of good stuff on this forum.

Either way congrats on doing on AG, it takes a little bit of patience to get things to work out the way they should.

If you have added hops I would not reboil it, that will through of the bittering.

It will be fine in the fermenter...............

check the OG again, just to make sure.

And pitch the yeast NOW. You can add extract on Monday, if your brewstore is open then. But pitch the yeast now.

This is exactly what I did once. It was also a BIAB amber, and I missed my OG by 10 points. I pitched yeast like normal after I cooled the wort, and then the next day I got some light DME, boiled it in 1/2 gallon of water for 15 mins, cooled it and dumped it in. That batch was one of the best ambers I ever made!

And pitch the yeast NOW. You can add extract on Monday, if your brewstore is open then. But pitch the yeast now.

I agree. Extract has already gone through a boil process so you don't have much of a dms risk. Think of it like a Barleywine or a Belgian where you add sugar later.

I've recently started the BIAB method. Until I get my process down this is what I do.
When I put the wort in the kettle I take a sample with my wine thief and put it in my hydrometer flask. While the wort is heating up I put the flask in the freezer so I can get the temperature of the sample down to about 75 degrees. Take a gravity reading to see if I need to add some dme. I believe 1 pound of dme will add 8 to 9 gravity points. I've learned not to take a gravity reading with hot wort because you will not get an accurate reading.

Ok, so I am gonna pitch now. I can go to my local store tmw and get some DME. How much should I add? Extra light? Thanks for all of your help. Seriously!

Ok, so I am gonna pitch now. I can go to my local store tmw and get some DME. How much should I add? Extra light? Thanks for all of your help. Seriously!

DME = appx. 40 points per pound per gallon. If I read correctly you were shooting for 1.039 and hit 1.020. You need 19 additional points (assuming you have 5 gallons). Appx 2.5 lbs of DME will get you to where you wanted to go... 1.039... 2.5 x 40 = 100/5 = 20 points.

I have done this before and this is what I recommend. Siphon off 2 quarts of fermenting wort. In a pan add the DME and bring it to a boil for 5 minutes and cool it back down to your fermenting wort temp. Toss the now very high SG wort back into the carboy or bucket and you are good to go.

If you use water to boil and dissolve the DME you are creating 2 additional problems. One, you will dilute the wort to more than 5 gallons and probably do not have room in the carboy or bucket and two, you will need more DME to compensate for the additional water.

nice! Ya, I may give that a go, HOWEVER, I live in Vermont, and we just boiled a TON of maple syrup here. Thinking abut going with Maple Syrup (33 pppg). What do you guys think of a Maple Blonde?

nice! Ya, I may give that a go, HOWEVER, I live in Vermont, and we just boiled a TON of maple syrup here. Thinking abut going with Maple Syrup (33 pppg). What do you guys think of a Maple Blonde?

I'm from Texas. Real men don't drink fluffy drinks, fruity beers or syrup of any kind in a "cold one". I see, though, you are from "up north". Go for it. :D;):D

I don't put syrup in my beer, but I would love to have homemade maple syrup for my pancakes! Unfortuanately, we don't have maple trees where I live. All we have is cactus, and cactus syrup for pancakes just aint the same!

The issue with maple syrup is that it is pretty fermentable, and will leave a thinner bodied beer behind. That's ok, if that's what you want, but you've already got a pretty thin beer by missing the OG so much. I would use DME this time, and make up a recipe to use maple syrup in a future batch.

I don't put syrup in my beer, but I would love to have homemade maple syrup for my pancakes! Unfortuanately, we don't have maple trees where I live. All we have is cactus, and cactus syrup for pancakes just aint the same!

I just gave some homemade maple syrup to my neighbors in Texas on Friday- I would have given you some, but you're way on the other side of the state!

I just gave some homemade maple syrup to my neighbors in Texas on Friday- I would have given you some, but you're way on the other side of the state!

Thanks for the thought Yooper! The other side of Texas may as well be the other side of the world!

I def. don't want a thinner bodied beer. So, took 2 quarts of the fermenting wort, and VERY sanitarily boiled it, and added 3 lbs of maple syrup. Ive boosted the OG to the recipe target of 1.040, but will I now get a thinner bodied beer? If so, how can/should I boost the body. I just want to salvage this beer. I made this recipe, because the thread I found it in said it could be done from brew to keg in 2 weeks. Have a bunch of people coming to town in 2 weeks...

The issue with maple syrup is that it is pretty fermentable, and will leave a thinner bodied beer behind. That's ok, if that's what you want, but you've already got a pretty thin beer by missing the OG so much. I would use DME this time, and make up a recipe to use maple syrup in a future batch.

I def. don't want a thinner bodied beer. So, took 2 quarts of the fermenting wort, and VERY sanitarily boiled it, and added 3 lbs of maple syrup. Ive boosted the OG to the recipe target of 1.040, but will I now get a thinner bodied beer? If so, how can/should I boost the body. I just want to salvage this beer. I made this recipe, because the thread I found it in said it could be done from brew to keg in 2 weeks. Have a bunch of people coming to town in 2 weeks...

At this point I would just leave it alone! 2 weeks isn't much time for a beer that's just barely getting started in the fermentor...

Are you kegging? If not that is impossible. I agree with stauffbier you done all you can at this point. Let it be, as the more you attempt the more likely the beer will turn out poorly.

Back