Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > A Thought - Mentorship Swap???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
Opherman47
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if you want to try some beers and have yours tried i would recommend finding a near by brew club at least you'll be able to try some peoples beers then you can judge how yours stacks up

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2009, 04:03 AM   #22
GreenwoodRover
me-no-r-no Nice Guy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Well I did it. Without any pre-reviews I jumped feet first into a competition. Earlier today I shipped off four beers to the upper mississipps mashout:
New Brewer Category gravity above 1.060
Paddy Wagon Porter - a robust porter aged on paddy irish whiskey soaked oak cubes.
New Brewer Category gravity below 1.060
Feedbag Oat Stout - a tweaked version of JZ's recipe
Category 8B - Best/Premium Bitter
Cobbler's Best - An attempt at a bass ale clone that ended up with a little maltier
Category 14B - American IPA
EightEnd IPA - Based on BierMunchers OuterLimits with lower grav. and aromatic instead of vs honey malt.

I'll post my comments here when I get them. In the mean time I wouldn't mind sending one or two out to a more experienced member for some feedback. PM me if you're interested.

<Insert list of brews planned, fermenting, or being consumed here>

Old 01-10-2009, 03:22 PM   #23
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenwoodRover View Post
Well I did it...Earlier today I shipped off four beers to the upper mississipps mashout...
Good luck.

Regardless of the scores and ultimate outcome, getting some feedback will help you. If you still have a couple bottles of each I'd suggest this:

1) On the day of judging, pull your bottles out and get a BJCP score sheet and Guidelines printout and give your beers an objective judging. Let the beers warm up a bit first. I know many competitions, the beers will be sitting out at room temp for several hours. Most judges want the beers warmer (especially the styles you submitted) so that the flavors and aroma aren't masked by the cold.

2) When you get the score sheets back, pull another bottle out and see if you can detect what they detected.

Quick Reply