Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brew Market > Sampling and Critiquing and Beer Swapping > Beerswap III: Chad's Beers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2008, 04:53 AM   #11
BrewBrain
Aleforger
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Cornucopia Cream Ale:

The pour is a nice pale yellow, crystal clear with ample white head. Some lacing was left down my glass.

The nose is light, as expected, with hints of malt and a little ripe fruit.

Flavor is light and pleasant. It's got a little spice and a touch of citrus on the finish. Body is perfect for the style - not chewy at all, but not thin and slippery either. Carbonation is right on the mark.

Well, I think I pounded it down in about three gulps . This is a light, crisp, refreshing brew that would be perfect to bust out for a mixed crowd. Nice job

You only get so many calories in life. Enjoy every single one.

QUICKSILVER HOME BREWERY

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Apex Amber v2.0

Aroma: Malt-centric, presence shifts to caramel/toffee aromas. No hops, alcohol, or off-flavours detected. (8/12)

Appearance: Remarkable pour. 1-finger pillow-fluffy head. Clarity is excellent. Ruby highlights when held up to the light. Definitive amber...I'd say you nailed this one on colour. (3/3)

Flavour: Communal balance between malt and hops. Well-placed for the style, in my opinion. Residual malt sweetness gives to the expected toffee/caramel undertones. No hop bitterness tasted, but slight astringency bitterness on the back palette. Tannins? (15/20)

Mouthfeel: Pleasantly mouth-coating. Not thin by any means. May actually be a little more coating than the style should call for. Astringency from the taste puckers the mouth, hence my thought on tannin extraction. I don't enjoy thin beers, so this suits me well. (3/5)

Overall: I don't think this is a bad beer by any means. The astringency is the only thing I can think of right now. I don't think it's thin or that the hops are off like you suggested. Well done. (7/10)

36/50

Old 01-16-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default Apex Amber v1.0

Apex Amber v1.0

Aroma: Bready; biscuity. Resounding malt sweetness evident, almost to a cloying effect.

Appearance: Pours amber clear until yeast decanted. Color spot-on, I believe. Huge fluffy head lasts, but shows signs of overcarbonation. I had to pour some into a British pint, then wait for the head to die down before pouring the rest, hence the yeast unsettling.

Flavour: First impression is thinness. There is a slight malt backbone, but no hop structure. Possibly even a hint of sourness? Tied in with the overcarbonation, it may have a hint of infection? I'm really not sure. This is the second of the two, and the first one wasn't like this at all. Definitely more body and balance. I'm not sure what to say.

Mouthfeel: Again, thin with some cheek-puckering sourness.

Overall: I'm going to go ahead and not score this one because of what I said above. I know that you have moved on to bigger things anyway, and I really enjoyed the AG version of this beer much better than the extract, despite your opinion posted above. I will try to find my notes from the first time I sampled this beer which was within the first couple of days upon reception back in Nov.

Quick Reply