Wyeast question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
To date, I have only used dry yeast, sometimes pitching dry but I usually rehydrate.
Have NB Scottish 80 kit and got the Wyeast Scottish smack pack with it. NB instructions say break the pack a couple days before brewing. Instructions on the Wyeast pack itself say break three hours prior to pitching.
What's better?
Is either fine?
Finally, I have it the fridge now. Once I break the pack, do I let it sit at room temp?

Thanks!

To date, I have only used dry yeast, sometimes pitching dry but I usually rehydrate.
Have NB Scottish 80 kit and got the Wyeast Scottish smack pack with it. NB instructions say break the pack a couple days before brewing. Instructions on the Wyeast pack itself say break three hours prior to pitching.
What's better?
Is either fine?
Finally, I have it the fridge now. Once I break the pack, do I let it sit at room temp?

Thanks!

I usually let it get to room temp, then I break it. I also usually make a starter for White Labs or Wyeast

We've been taking the smack pack out of the fridge about 24 hours or so prior to brewing, then smacking it on brewday morning. Usually get about 12 hours or so of lag before anything noticeable.

It really depends on how old your pack is, and what conditions it has been stored in. You kept it refrigerated, so that is good. If it was made a week or two ago you will almost certainly get a good swelling of the pack in ~12 hours. If it is a month or two old, you should give it a day or two to get started before you pitch it.

Yes, the smack packs should be left at room temp. after you smack them. Shaking it once in a while can help too.

A Scottish 80 is a big beer, and if you are doing a 5gal batch, you need more than one smack pack of liquid yeast. I suggest you do some searches and look at mr.malty.com to make sure that you pitch at the proper rate for best results.

I've done 3 batches with Wyeast and twice have broke it open the day before and once just a few hours before i brewed. they've all looked pretty full within a few hours. I'll bet that you would be fine smacking it when you started brewing and it would be ready to pitch by the time your wort was cool, but, if you ended up with a bad pack, you'd have to come up with something quick to replace it.

Thanks for the replies. One more question ...
How long are these good for once smacked? My schedule changes on a dime so the best laid plans (I'm gonna brew tomorrow!) often go up in smoke.

Back