Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Why 60 minutes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2009, 03:30 AM   #1
fightingswede
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Why 60 minutes

In the recipes I see and the kits I have purchased, they advise you to boil for 60 minutes. Yet I saw a recipe today that said to boil for 90 minutes. What is so special about 60 minutes? What if I boil part of the extract for 60 minutes and part for 30 minutes?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's a good question. I don't really think a full 60 minutes is mandatory, and I'd also like to know the science behind it. I brew some good beer, and I know the process well, but I've never been into the whole science aspect of it. As long as I was turning out good beers...I didn't care.

I know that the boil is used to seperate the proteins from the wort. This is done during the first 20 minutes in the form of "hot break". Now...I always do 90 minute boils with my recipes because hops additions make it harder to control the foaming during the hot break. If I boil for 90 minutes, then I'm not adding the first hops for 10 minutes after the hops break at least.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 10-08-2009, 03:59 AM   #3
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The 60 minutes is generally for optimal hop utilization.

In extract there is not much reason other than this.

In AG another reason is to drive off DMS precursors. The lighter the grain bill the more critical this is. In a beer containing only Pilsner malt this is important and 90 minutes is recommended.

In extract I cannot think of any reason at all to go 90 minutes.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
oldschool
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Longer boil times will tend to darken your beer.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:02 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 359 Times on 296 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Extract recipes shouldn't need 90 minute boils. AG recipes with a lot of Pilsner malt will often call for a longer boil because you need more time to boil off the DMS precursors (otherwise, you can end up with some canned-corn-esque off flavors). Some will also do a long boil if they want to evaporate more wort; you might collect more wort on a big beer and evaporate off some of the excess water.

The core reason for boiling 60 minutes is to maximize hop utilization. Pretty much by 60 minutes, you've gotten as many IBUs from the hops as you're going to; if you do a 90 minute boil, you slightly increase hop utilization, but by a very, very small amount. Most 90-minute boil recipes still call for the hops to be added for 60 minutes. The protein separation is part of the reason for the boil, but it's to maximize the the isomerization of alpha acids that's the reason to boil 60 minutes.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:07 AM   #6
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Jinx, Bird.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:03 AM   #7
Noleafclover
Recipes 

lol.. I was totally going there but was too slow. Instead I'll link to an episode of Brew Strong, that talks about DMS precursers.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/485

Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 AM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 428 Times on 349 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noleafclover View Post
lol.. I was totally going there but was too slow. Instead I'll link to an episode of Brew Strong, that talks about DMS precursers.
http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/485
I can understand concern about DMS precursor in an AG batch, but in extract brews that stuff has already been evaporated off.

I think hop utilization is the right answer. To be honest, if you plan your (extract) brews correctly 60 minutes is the max you'd need, and if you do some crazy brews like I have with all late hops additions you could probably do a 20 minute boil and still be completely fine and have a fantastic beer.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 933 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 28

If I were still brewing extract, I'd modify all my recipes for a 30 minute boil. Hops are cheaper than gas, well, maybe not but time is money.

Sightglass, Refractometer, Ball Valve, Weldless bulkhead, Thermometer, Decals, Stainless Steel Fittings, Compression Fittings, Camlock Quick Disconnects, Scale, RIMS tube, Plate Chiller, Chugger Pump, Super Clear Silicone Tubing, and more!

New Stuff?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:15 PM   #10
BuzzCraft
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
If I were still brewing extract, I'd modify all my recipes for a 30 minute boil. Hops are cheaper than gas, well, maybe not but time is money.
ditto...you could even curtail hop use somewhat by doing late extract addition w/a portion of it.

Quick Reply