Winner drawn in the Spike Brewing Giveaway - 24 hours to Claim!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Whats the worst kit you have done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2009, 04:03 AM   #11
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
Canadian Draft (Mr. Beer) pretty much same story though. It was pretty not good - tough call whether to continue trying to brew drinkable beer or not after that. Good thing I am stubborn.

-OCD
I'm slowly working my way through the Mr. Beer basic kits, but I've since been substituting 1lb light DME for the booster and better yeast, usually Notty. I've found that to be an improvement, but they all still kind of have a similar quality to them. I've got the stout coming up soon. That should be something different. I'll probably try out their premium line next and then decide whether or not I'm even going to bother with their kits anymore or just use the fermenter to make my own mini recipes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2009, 04:39 AM   #12
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooter View Post
I'm slowly working my way through the Mr. Beer basic kits, .... I'll probably try out their premium line next and then decide whether or not I'm even going to bother with their kits anymore or just use the fermenter from to make my own mini recipes.
I have six of those fermenters, I was doing other extract kits (5gallon) and splitting them into the barrels for a while. Mr Beer can be decent beer with adding in a few ingredients. But I made my first beer according to directions - and it coulda easily been my last.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:51 AM   #13
Shooter
Almaigan Brewing Co.

Recipes 

Liked 239 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerocd View Post
I have six of those fermenters, I was doing other extract kits (5gallon) and splitting them into the barrels for a while. Mr Beer can be decent beer with adding in a few ingredients. But I made my first beer according to directions - and it coulda easily been my last.

-OCD
Well, reading your reply made me realize I had a typo in my post. Guess that's what I get for drunk posting. Okay, not drunk, but I have been enjoying a few pints of my best bitter and am now relaxing with a saison!

Do you have any experience with their premium kits? I've heard they are a little better quality. Overall I'm not turned off by their basic beers, but I may just end up doing my own thing with their fermenter eventually.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:35 AM   #14
beerocd
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

They're better because it's two cans of malt, instead of one can plus booster. Witty Monk seemed to be a big hit, but that was all a while ago. If you only have one fermenter, I say grab another on clearance after the holiday season and you can graduate out of Mr Beer to other kits. They're cheaper, often better, and you have much more choice. You can easily half your brewing costs by going away from Mr Beer to 5 gal extract batches. All you need is one more keg.... or a bucket.

-OCD

Due to recent economic crisis, stock market crash, budget cuts, and the rising cost of everything including taxes: "The Light at the End of The Tunnel" has been turned off.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
cryptonic84
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStudinski View Post
I have a batch of Brewers Best Oktoberfest conditioning in bottles right now... It's my first batch.. I read this and my heart sank a little.. Hope I have a better turnout than you did.
I have a batch of BB Oktoberfest sitting in primary right now! luckily i have 2 extra fridges that i can use to lager. The yeast had a lag time of like somewhere between 4-10 hours, during those 6 hours i was asleep and when woke up it was bubbling like crazy. We will see though. Hope for the best.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:35 AM   #16
Brewin06111
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptonic84 View Post
I have a batch of BB Oktoberfest sitting in primary right now! luckily i have 2 extra fridges that i can use to lager. The yeast had a lag time of like somewhere between 4-10 hours, during those 6 hours i was asleep and when woke up it was bubbling like crazy. We will see though. Hope for the best.
I just tried one after 2 weeks conditioning in the bottle.. It was decent.. Probably needs 1 more week.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 AM   #17
bhatchable
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

the worst batch i've made was the pale ale kit that came with mr. beer. I fermented it for two weeks in an 80 degree room the bottled and drank. it tasted like trash. ahhh memories. i've come a long way in two years

Old 10-20-2009, 04:01 AM   #18
Tiamat
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

80 degrees, eh? At that temp, i'm guessing that any kit (Mr. Beer or otherwise) would taste less than ideal.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 AM   #19
Beermaker
The NAVY WALRUS

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Northern Brewer Patersbier kit. Didnt turn out well at all.

Why yes, yes I am a metrosexual!

On taps 1,2&3: Una Mas Cerveza, Ham in a Can, IPA
Primary: XINGU Clone, Rye P.A.
2ndary: Low Gluten IPA, Bourbon Oak Aged Vanilla Porter
Kegged: Sh*tty Orange Hefe, Una Mas Cerveza, Smokin Hot Blonde, Belgian Dubbel
Next up: Una Mas Cerveza, Pecan Pie

Old 10-20-2009, 06:21 AM   #20
ruffdeezy
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Actually my worst was cooper's bitter, not cooper's dark ale. Cooper's draft and cerveza were decent. Just did the rogue dead guy clone extract kit, turned out awesome.

Quick Reply