Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Sierra nevada torpedo clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #41
tcory77
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Nice....report back if you do the torpedo clone from AHS.

From some post I saw it sounded like the AHS clone didn't use any citra hops which is what is supposed to set the torpedo apart, but I have not got that one from AHS, so I cannot confirm nor deny those alligations. Regardless I am sure the AHS clone is great.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 03:53 PM   #42
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post

From some post I saw it sounded like the AHS clone didn't use any citra hops which is what is supposed to set the torpedo apart, but I have not got that one from AHS, so I cannot confirm nor deny those alligations. Regardless I am sure the AHS clone is great.
Ok - so just bought the AHS clone for Torpedo. Plan on harvesting yeast from an Irish red ale I have brewing, then doing this recipe. If I push it, I might get to it this weekend, but that all depends on whether the fermentation is done or not.

Will post back when I start the clone, etc.

Note: If the citra hops aren't in the clone I will let you know, and, will be ordering whatever I need to complete the BYO clone recipe instead.

It was cheaper to buy the clone in a package than piece part out the BYO recipe.

Man,... That's a lotta hooch!
Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-03-2011, 12:17 PM   #43
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcory77 View Post

Haven't started this yet (got it last night). However, there are citra hops in this kit, and from a quick glance it looks like it is similar to the BYO recipe, though I will have to compare them fully later. I also upgraded my brewpot, so I was busy with that last night, cleaning and boiling to get it ready for an amarillo IPA brew session tonight.

Anyway, should be starting this Torpedo kit this weekend or so. It has a bunch of hops in it, so that is always a good sign.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #44
eanmcnulty
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That sounds good! So does your Amarillo IPA. Your Torpedo should be ready to drink just about when I'm ready to brew mine. Post your results.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:48 PM   #45
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I will do.

The amarillo IPA is too good. Fastest keg I have kicked yet (less than two weeks). Must just be made for my palate

I am going to break off from the torpedo kit instructions in a couple ways:
1. 50% LME at the start and 50% LME at the 15-20 minute mark.
2. 3.5 gallon steep of specialty grains and 1.5 gallon ghetto collander sparge at 170F.
3. Starter for the yeast
4. 10 minute wait at flameout, then chill.
5. 3 week primary, dry hop 2 weeks secondary, then keg.

If that plan changes I will update, but that is my current method to my madness.

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-04-2011, 10:54 PM   #46
Kbho68
Recipes 

I just got back from the LHBS and got all of my ingredients. I can't wait to try this recipe this weekend.

tcorry- I was wondering what changes you would make...if any?

Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 AM   #47
tcory77
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Well, first off I have really enjoyed this one as is. It is solid. My next go round I think I am going to tinker with the steeping grains and maybe add some munich malt. Maybe .5 - 1 lb. I am going to try to make this IPA over and over with some minor changes until I get it where I want it. In the future I might add some DME to it and up the hops a touch, but for now I like it enough to just add some steeping grains.

I have even toyed with the idea of adding munich and carafa III (dehusked) to the steeping grains and make this a Black IPA. I am loving me some Laughing Dog Dogzilla right now.

Kbho68, let us know how yours turns out!!!

I am going to have to brew this again soon, my keg has taken a beating, it can't have much left in it.

Old 02-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #48
ddockery
Recipes 

I'm thinking I may try this myself, as my first brew without a boxed recipe kit. I have some Wyeast 1272 American Ale yeast I want to reuse from a Black IPA. Thoughts on using that yeast for this?

Old 02-07-2011, 06:42 PM   #49
CidahMastah
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

It is driving me crazy to wait - have an Irish Red Ale with 1056 ale yeast that i need to grab the yeast from for the torpedo clone. I am hoping next week at the latest for the AHS clone.

Tcory77
I know the AHS clone as 9.5lbs of LME, so there is definitely a stout ABV. I keep forgetting to compare the AHS clone to the BYO, but when I do I will post back. I got busy when I bottled a bunch of cider and beer this weekend. The Stone Arrogan Bastard clone is really good.

I actually just killed my first 10 lb co2 tank!! Guess I am producing well....

Steel rig in progress
ebuild info

Old 02-16-2011, 09:07 PM   #50
BelgianKing
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddockery View Post
I'm thinking I may try this myself, as my first brew without a boxed recipe kit. I have some Wyeast 1272 American Ale yeast I want to reuse from a Black IPA. Thoughts on using that yeast for this?
I brewed this on sunday using that yeast. My LHBS told me that it would work great for this recipe. I was going to use the 1056 but it was old. The primary took off in less than 6 hours and has been crazy active ever since. I will know how it tastes in a few weeks.

Primary:Chicken Livers IPA x10gal
Secondary:
Bottled: Milk Chocolate Stout,Dr. Spock's Bock 001,Dr. Spock's Bock 002

Yeast Bank:1056 3rd Generation

2011 gallons= 61

Quick Reply