Shelf Life of a Brewer's Best kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rucarlso

Reaction score
Hi y'all--

Finally getting back to brewing after a long break. I bought a Brewer's Best IPA kit maybe a year ago and it's just sat around, wanting to be brewed.

Looking for advice on whether I can still use this kit or if some of the ingredients may have gone bad.

It was stored at ~69 degrees F in a pantry for most of the time it's been sitting around. About two months ago someone moved it out to a garage, from where I rescued it about a week ago. Garage was cold, as it's winter here in the DC area.

Anybody know if those hops and yeast especially are still worth using??

Many thanks!

I would think that you might want to check the date on the yeast. Personally I would pick up another pkg yeast and maybe hops. The hops should be sealed in one of those O2 barrier pkgs so I would think it would be all good. Try tasting the specialty grains if there are and and as long as they taste good I say go for it. Let us know how it turns out

Will do. The hops are still in those bags and I figure they're fine. New yeast is a good call. Thanks for the tips!

Back