Sharing my simple summer pale ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jubilee

Reaction score
Hey folks, I'm up in Seattle. A few weeks ago I bought a 22oz of Fremont Brew's Summer Solstice Ale. On the bottle is says "2-row malt, amarillo hops, nuttin' else." I thought, "I can do that!"

So, here it is...super simple and tasty.

8.75 lbs pale LME
4 oz amarillo hops

I've been boiling maybe 1/3 of my extract early and adding the remainder towards the end of a 60 min boil. Equal hop additions were at 0 min, 15 min, 30 min, and 45 min. Wyeast American Ale smack pack. Primary 2 weeks then keg and force carb. Easy as pie...well, easier! It's very tasty and summer-appropriate. :mug:

As I'm at work now, don't have brewsmith in front of me. I'll post gravities later tonight. It ended up approx 5.6%, 5 gal batch, 2.75 gal boil.

brew.jpg

i have been using Amirillo hops lately for dry hoping, and for me, the flavor is fantastic. it's imparts a nice citris/orange flavor

Looks like a good and cheap beer. Definitely does seem too easy given the lack of ingredients. I may have to try this out to go along with my American wheat. Thanks for the recipe! Just looked up this beer on beeradvocate and it's got great reviews. Hopefully it really is as simple as extract and hop additions.

This looks too easy, whats the taste like, good amount of hoppiness? Also, do you add the LME at certain intervals or just beginning and near the end?

It's got a decent amount of hop flavor and nose...nothing too crazy. I just threw about 1/3 of the LME at the start, then the rest towards the end...making sure the late addition boils for a good 10 min or so.

Looks like a good and cheap beer. Definitely does seem too easy given the lack of ingredients. I may have to try this out to go along with my American wheat. Thanks for the recipe! Just looked up this beer on beeradvocate and it's got great reviews. Hopefully it really is as simple as extract and hop additions.

It is amazingly simple and turns out to be a good session-able brew. It's certainly not complex and it won't knock anyone's socks off...but that's not what it's for!

Cheers guys, let me know what you think. :mug:

EDIT: This weekend I'll be taste comparing my recipe to the Fremont brew.

Sounds like a SMaSH hit! It's been argued to death but I would make it even easier with US-05 dry yeast rather than the wy1056.

In any of my extract batches, I think the most extract I've used for a 5 gallon batch is 6 lbs. Just wondering why you used so much? Damn extract is so expensive near me I wonder if I could get away with just 6 lbs. I'm assuming more extract just gets you a higher OG.

Just wouldn't be the same recipe if you used less. More extract upps the OG but also upps the FG & the mouthfeel. You could make it with less but it'd be quite different.

Interesting super simple recipe, although if I were you I would just try atleast a few pounds of grains to mash with it, even just base grains. It would bring a little freshness to it, especially since a lot of canned extracts will sit for long durations of time. You could experiment and see if it makes a difference.

I am also in Seattle, and love that Fremont beer. Interurban IPA is one more my go to's around here as well.

Very simple, and to the point. My gf is always wanting me to make something that is not so damn complicated, so this may just satisfy that.

May give it a go this weekend. Cheers! :mug:

I am also in Seattle, and love that Fremont beer. Interurban IPA is one more my go to's around here as well.

Very simple, and to the point. My gf is always wanting me to make something that is not so damn complicated, so this may just satisfy that.

May give it a go this weekend. Cheers! :mug:

I think 1/2lb of 40L crystal steeped would make it even better when using extract, as the gentleman above said.

Still gonna try this AG and see how it goes...

That sounds good, I would also add another 1/2 lb of 2 row. Not sure if 1/2 lb would be enough to notice, could be wrong though.

There is definitely a balance, I get all stressed out with really complex recipe's even ones I create. Especially trying to replicate it again, that's why I've gotten into doing some basic AIPA's as of late for a session beer. You know something I wouldn't be breaking sweats if I cut a fart around it.

A couple things. Looks like a tasty recipe. I would however move the hops additions around a bit. Instead of 60m, 45m, 30m and 15m I would go with 60m, 20m, 10m, 5m. That would give it more flavor and aroma. The 45m hops are kind of wasted. They don't impart as much bitterness as at 60m and most of the flavor and aroma will boil off.

You could replace the Gold LME with wheat LME and you would have a very good American wheat similar to Gumballhead. Amarillo is a fantastic hop.

I also enjoyed this beer at a Seattle pub and decided to give it a stab as my second brew. Thanks, Jubilee, for starting this thread as I wasn't able to find any other recipes for this beer and Fremont Brewing didn't respond to my email. :(

Here's what I brewed:

4 Gallon batch
4.54 lbs DME (2 lbs @60 min, 2.54 lbs @15 min)
Amarillo Hops @ 10.4%
.5oz @60
.5oz @20
1oz @5
1oz Dry hop

Wyeast 1332 pitched at 65*. Fermented at 68* and left in the primary for 3 weeks. I just bottled last weekend and am now trying to wait patiently. OG was 1.051 and FG 1.009. The sample I tasted at bottling was very promising. Can't wait to taste the end product!

Finally had my first taste of this beer tonight and I love it. I think the 1332 yeast was a great choice. Things I would change:

- Up the bittering hops, maybe to .75 oz @60 and @20
- Up the dry hop to 2 or 3 oz. This beer is all about the amarillo and I don't get enough in nose or flavor.
- Lower carbonation. I used 99 grams of priming sugar for this 4 gallon batch (2.5 volumes, I think). Its just a bit too much. But head retention is great! :D

Overall, I am really pleased with my second brew! Thanks again, Jubilee, for posting your experience with this beer. My next attempt at it will also be AG. Woohoo!

Very nice! I'm glad you like it. :mug:

Last night I brought 1 gal of a modified batch of this to a friend's b-day party. It was gone in a flash! And these aren't Miller Lite drinkers either...they're seasoned PacNW beer snobs, so it was a really good feeling to hear the compliments and watch it go so fast!

Sorry I didn't answer the email about the recipe...sadly, that happens. So many hours in the day and too many tasks. Either way, as a long time home brewer gone pro, I can understand the desire to hear about the recipe. We try to post all relevant info about our beers so folks can recreate them at home but I know we could add more...now only if someone could find about 300 kegs and grain out and go to an event and do payroll for me?

So, the recipe is simple with Great Western Pale malt and Amarillo hops. Gravity is 13 Plato with 44 IBUs. We bias toward late addition of hops right before the end of the boil so I would add 1/3 of the hops at beginning of the boil and the rest right at the end. Add the total of the boil hop weight in a dry hop addition and pitch with a lot of your favorite yeast. Our house yeast started out as Wyeast Thames Valley Ale and is a good all around yeast. I would also use 1056 or 1028 for some fun but try what you like, such as the German Ale yeast.

I'm happy to answer questions about our beer and please forgive me if I don't answer them all. Brewing beer and building a company while trying to be a good Dad and Husband take time away from beer. but, beer is important...Because Beer Matters.

Cheers,

Matt Lincecum

Cheers

Sorry I didn't answer the email about the recipe...sadly, that happens. So many hours in the day and too many tasks. Either way, as a long time home brewer gone pro, I can understand the desire to hear about the recipe. We try to post all relevant info about our beers so folks can recreate them at home but I know we could add more...now only if someone could find about 300 kegs and grain out and go to an event and do payroll for me?

So, the recipe is simple with Great Western Pale malt and Amarillo hops. Gravity is 13 Plato with 44 IBUs. We bias toward late addition of hops right before the end of the boil so I would add 1/3 of the hops at beginning of the boil and the rest right at the end. Add the total of the boil hop weight in a dry hop addition and pitch with a lot of your favorite yeast. Our house yeast started out as Wyeast Thames Valley Ale and is a good all around yeast. I would also use 1056 or 1028 for some fun but try what you like, such as the German Ale yeast.

I'm happy to answer questions about our beer and please forgive me if I don't answer them all. Brewing beer and building a company while trying to be a good Dad and Husband take time away from beer. but, beer is important...Because Beer Matters.

Cheers,

Matt Lincecum

Cheers

Hey, thanks for posting Matt! BTW everyone...if you're in the PacNW check this coupon to Fremont Brewing out. It's a great deal.

https://tippr.com/offer/promotion-for-fremont-brewing/

Thanks for the info, Matt! I can't wait to give this one a try again. You guys make some great beer over there! :D

I live in Seattle and a big fan of Fremont Summer Ale! I brewed this beer 2 months ago and we did a blind taste test with 5 friends. No one could guess which one was the original. It tastes amazing! Here is my recipe:

10lb 2 row
1oz Amarillo %8.2 boil 60 minutes
2oz Amarillo %8.2 boil 7 minutes
2 oz Amarillo dry hopped in the keg.

Mashed at 152F for one hour. Used Safale US-05 and fermented at 168F.

ABV was %5.5, my mash efficiency is around %88.

I love this beer and it will be in rotation.

Edit: Just realized this recipe was posted in Extract brewing section. Well hopefully my post can help an AG brewer.

Angus, I moved from Seattle just over 6 years ago. Fremont Summer Ale was my favorite! I’m wondering if using Maris Otter would get you into the right color. That is what I was going to try.

Angus, I moved from Seattle just over 6 years ago. Fremont Summer Ale was my favorite! I’m wondering if using Maris Otter would get you into the right color. That is what I was going to try.
With 2 row I got the same exact color. Seriously, it was impossible to understand which one was the original. Maris Otter will make a great beer too, maltier and color might be a bit darker than the original. I might try it next time.

Back