Shared my hefeweizen tonight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirtyjerz

Reaction score
Some friends stopped by and my Hefeweizen happen to be at 2 weeks bottled. I decided now was a good time to crack open a few bottles and see how the people like it.

(fyi I had 1.5 gallons in a coors home draft kit that blew its safty valve yesterday and I had 2 drunk dogs on my hands. What leaked out keeping the jug from exlpoding ended up being licked up by my yorkie and peekapoo. I wouldn't have known but the box I was holding the jug in was wet.) That issue left me with allot of foam so I lost about half the 1 1/2 gallons but mannnnn it's tasting good. Way better then the 1st week bottled i opened. I have a few sitting in the back for 3 and 4 week trials. The bottles are more carbed then the homedraft kit at this point because i had to releave some of that pressure. It was still good though. I finished it off :)

IMAG0670-1.jpg

IMAG0671.jpg

IMAG0673.jpg

IMAG0669-1.jpg

IMAG0672-1.jpg

:drunk:

Odd, how did those orange slices accidentally get into those beers? :drunk:

Yes, I'm a purist :p

Rev.

And whats in that baggy in the background that I see lol. Looks like a close relative to hops.

And whats in that baggy in the background that I see lol. Looks like a close relative to hops.

LOL you mean this....

IMAG0677.jpg

IMAG0680.jpg
:p

Odd, how did those orange slices accidentally get into those beers? :drunk:

Yes, I'm a purist :p

Rev.

"Well,relatives to get together sometimes. was that orange,or sour I wonder?" - unionrdr

It was lemon. Two of the friends I had over like lemon in the Hefe so they brought one with them. It was good but I like it better without. I haven't had an orange slice which I want to try. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

what recipe you do?

It was an extract kit. True Bruew Bavarian Hefeweizen.
http://www.amazon.com/Brew-Bavarian-Hefeweizen-Home-Ingredient/dp/B003SSHKO0

I did a few things different then the directions. I also know now that I should of did a late extract addition for clearer beer.

2x 3.3lbs Muntons Wheat Malt Extract
2 oz Liberty hops
1 oz Hersbrucker (dry hop 1 week)
1 1/4 DME for priming.
SW-06 dry yeast

9 Days in Primary (dry hopped)
10 Days in secondary
2 weeks bottled

The kit does not come with the 1 oz of Hersbrucker or the 1 1/4 DME (light wheat) It does come with 5oz of dextrose but the co2 calculator for this beer said I would of needed 8.6oz of dextrose for this type of beer. Glad I had the DME on hand just for this purpose.

Here's some video of a the bubbles after a first pour.

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q281/vinylraccoon/?action=view&current=VIDEO0059.mp4

Last edited by a moderator:
It does come with 5oz of dextrose but the co2 calculator for this beer said I would of needed 8.6oz of dextrose for this type of beer. Glad I had the DME on hand just for this purpose.

Wait, so you primed with 1 and 1/4 pound of DME!?? Did you bottle this in glass bottles or plastic? You didn't have any bottle bombs? That's a heck of a lot of priming DME.

Rev.

Wait, so you primed with 1 and 1/4 pound of DME!?? Did you bottle this in glass bottles or plastic? You didn't have any bottle bombs? That's a heck of a lot of priming DME.

Rev.
no no it was 1 1/4 cups...my bad

Yea it doesn't really need a fruit. I tried it last night with an orange slice, I wasn't really feeling it. I like it better as is. There's plenty of flavors to taste without fruit.

Back