saison ferment temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadsupporter

Reaction score
saison ferment temps.

I am currently doing a saison using the Wyeast 3711 [french saison] and was curious about brew temps.

I currently have mine at 68F for the first 2 days and just raised the temp to 71F.

Would 71F be good for a saison or would i need a higher temp? [i do not want it to get too bad of off flavor from too hot a temp]

FYI my SG was 1.057

I bottled a Petite Saison on 11/26. OG 1.042. Used WY3711. Two days at 62°. Two days at 64°. Took it out of the swamp cooler and let the temperature rise. Stayed at 66° until I bottled. Total of 21 days in the fermentor. Carbed to 3.2 volumes. I have started tasting them 5 days ago.
My yeast had a production date of June 4, 2013. Made a 1.5 quart starter with 5.1 ounces of DME for 229 billion cells.
It is a very tasty beer. Nice floral aroma and light forward spicy taste. Well rounded mouth feel.
I was going to post the question if any one had brewed a petite saison at higher temps and what the outcome was. If this brew didn't taste so good I would try higher temps for the next one.

I have never used this strain but I would think the higher in temperature you went (but not any higher than 77 as recommended for this particular strain) the more spicy esters you would get from it. If it were me I would probably go around 74 with it to ensure a quick attenuation as well as some additional esters for that true character for the style. I have only brewed saisons with T58 though.. it does make some wonderful saisons for a dry yeast.

You are fine. If you want more flavor, raise the temp. 80 is OK for that yeast. That yeast is OK at lower temps than most Ssison yeasts.

Back