Removing bitterness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

usmcoklahoma

Reaction score
A little over a week ago, I began brewing up a Highland Heavy Ale. It sounded good and didn't strike me a having a bitter taste, but I recently found out that its fairly bitter, even leaves an after taste. I'm not a big fan of bitter and I don't wanna dump it so is there a way to ease the bitter taste? I'm not worried about ABV or its color, I'm just not liking the bitter part much. I should probably mention that its a "toucan" beer so idk what kind of yeast is in it or what was used for extrtacts. I did use a thing called Rice Syrup Solids to bring the ABV up and was told it wouldn't effect the taste, now I'm not sure if it was the solids or if the bitterness is actually the beer taste anyway

At a week, it is impossible to say what it will taste like when done, but bitterness will mellow.

you only brewed it a week ago? Come back in 3 weeks and tell us if there is a problem...1 week is way too soon to be making any judgement on its quality.

With a name like Heavy ale I am going to assume that the alcohol level is mod to high. Higher gravity beers need a larger amount of bitterness to keep it balanced. Like others have said give it time.

I made a belgian triple OG fo 1.072. the pre-fermenting taste was very very bitter. After 4 weeks of fermenting, at bottling, it was still very bitter. 3 months later and I finally tried the end product. The bitterness and the sweetness have made a nice balance. It has become a very enjoyable drink.

patience...

I don't really taste at one week, but right after the boil the wort is always extremely bitter. Usually it mellows out to something drinkable, so I would say that you have nothing to worry about.

Bitterness will subside as it matures as everyone else above said.

If in the end it doesn't, or you try another one prematurely and its still way too bitter/back of the tongue bitter add a little lemonade if you happen to have it on hand (to the one you poured and might be thinking about dumping ........ not all the unopened bottles.............).

But yeah at the end of the day ... patience is key

Back