Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Redwood Hefeweizen ABV Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2006, 12:38 PM   #11
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The FG on my 1.050ish wheat was around 1.010. I also brewed a 1.064 OG wit before and even it finished around 1.015.

Move the secondary to a warmer place (if not around 70) asap and give a swirl. See if anything happens. Also take readings to see if its changing or not. If not, as mentioned its probably stuck, and you should repitch some yeast to finish it out.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2006, 05:57 PM   #12
Biermann
Reinvented Biermann
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
The FG on my 1.050ish wheat was around 1.010. I also brewed a 1.064 OG wit before and even it finished around 1.015.

Move the secondary to a warmer place (if not around 70) asap and give a swirl. See if anything happens. Also take readings to see if its changing or not. If not, as mentioned its probably stuck, and you should repitch some yeast to finish it out.
yeah, moving it to a warmer temp may help jump start it again. If it takes off, though, I'd get it down to the mid 60's, as it turn to banana juice if fermented in the 70's.

--------------------------------------------------------
On Draft: Old, Stale, Oxidized beer

Holding tanks:Sold
Conical #1:Sold
Bottles: Nichts
On Deck:

Old 12-29-2006, 06:50 PM   #13
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Looks like it is a stuck fermentation. My brew still reads 1.025 corrected for a temperature of 73 deg.

As far as repitching, would I want to use a full vial of the same yeast (WLP 320) or a partial amount? Also what would be the effect if I switched over to the White Labs WLP 300 yeast in order to add a little more true Hefe character to my brew. (The sample from my hydrometer tube seems kind of bland)

Are there going to be enough fermentable sugars remaining to complete the job? I do detect some sweetness in the sample.

Thanks again for all of your assistance.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:39 PM   #14
ColoradoXJ13

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 6 Posts

I had a similar problem with my dunkelweizen, 6.9lbs DME...I fermented in the primary at too low a temp and racked too early to the secondary, OG was 1.040 (not too sure on this, my friend who wasn't very sober took the reading), but racked after 5 days and it was only 1.027. No activity in the secondary. I added 4 crushed beano tablets and re-pitched more of the same yeast, spun the fermenter to roust the existing yeast, and moved it to ~72*F, and am still fermenting 6 weeks later, it is down to 1.010 now, going to bottle as soon as my assistant gets back in town. It has a strong bananna flavor, oh well, its still beer!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:46 AM   #15
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Stuck Ferment Update

Just added more yeast to the mix after shaking the carboy well. Now, all I can do is pray to the beer gods that everything goes O.K.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:04 PM   #16
McKBrew

Recipes 

Going on thirteen hours now and still nothing. So I am theorizing that my central air conditioning is too effective, as it was about 68deg in the house this morning.

Thought about putting a heating pad next to the carboy, but couldn't find it. SWMBO is still sleeping, and I think waking her up to ask her where it is, declaring a "Beer Emergency" is probably not a good idea.

I have a ghetto cardboard box that I drop over the top of my carboy (now with a blowtube running out the side), so I threw a couple bottles of hot water in the box with my brew. Hopefully it will warm things up a bit until I can get that heating pad.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 373 Times on 308 Posts
Likes Given: 98

Boy, 68 shouldn't be too cool to slow down a fermantation. Didn't see it mentioned, but how did you aerate the wort?

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:20 PM   #18
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 74 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I read the original post a couple of times after reading some of the comments thinking I was missing something here then it dawned on me that we are all missing the guys point...

As I see it, he just did a gravity reading when racking to the secondary and calculated his "present" ABV. This, in itself means nothing because his brew's not done fermenting.

The ABV he calculated just tracks the fermentations progress.

IMO, he just racked too soon and did a ABV calculation.

If you noticed, he didn't tell us his OG or his present gravity.

You start off with the OG (for simple math I'll use 1.050 because it's easy). When your brew's 75% fermented it's about done. Divide 50 by 4 and you get 12.5 (read that as 1.0125). When your brew is about 1.014 it's ready to rack to the secondary for a continued fermentation, mellowing and clearing.

Just don't rack too soon in the future. Fermentation is a natural process. Natural processes can't be rushed without consequences.

BTW, can you tell us what those gravity readings were? They are the key to your question.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #19
McKBrew

Recipes 

I shook the carboy several times, until it was quite foamy then re-pitched. I know the WLP300 I used stated that in order for fermentation to begin it needed to be above 70, so I really don't know if 2 deg would make a difference.

Any other aeration recommendations if this could be a problem. I know people use stones with air hoses, etc but I am sure my LHBS doesn't stock anything like this.

Would I be taking too much risk if I just poured everything into my bottling bucket and re-filled the carboy from it?

I'm looking at any viable option to save this brew, because in Hawaii higher prices make a batch cost about $35.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 12-30-2006, 05:31 PM   #20
McKBrew

Recipes 

Default Racking to secondary

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
I read the original post a couple of times after reading some of the comments thinking I was missing something here then it dawned on me that we are all missing the guys point...

As I see it, he just did a gravity reading when racking to the secondary and calculated his "present" ABV. This, in itself means nothing because his brew's not done fermenting.

The ABV he calculated just tracks the fermentations progress.

IMO, he just racked too soon and did a ABV calculation.

If you noticed, he didn't tell us his OG or his present gravity.

You start off with the OG (for simple math I'll use 1.050 because it's easy). When your brew's 75% fermented it's about done. Divide 50 by 4 and you get 12.5 (read that as 1.0125). When your brew is about 1.014 it's ready to rack to the secondary for a continued fermentation, mellowing and clearing.

Just don't rack too soon in the future. Fermentation is a natural process. Natural processes can't be rushed without consequences.

BTW, can you tell us what those gravity readings were? They are the key to your question.
It is quite possible I did rack too soon. This is the first time I used a secondary system. My OG was 1.045, at racking it was 1.025. Mostly I racked to secondary, because I wasn't ready to bottle and based on visual observation it really looked like it was done. There was absolutely no activity at the airlock for a couple of days.

Plus before re-pitching I did hydrometer readings over two days @ 1.025 with no change.

I really don't know what is going on with this batch, but am hoping for the best.

Make Beer, Not War.

Quick Reply