recipe help with WLP400 belgian yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pa-in-utah

Reaction score
Just did a belgian wit and have an extra vial of yeast.... Can someone help me out?? I am thinking a Grand Cru style with honey, but I want to use something other than corriander and bitter orange peel since I just brewed the Belgian wit. Can you give me some alternatives to corriander and bitter orange peel? Just want a different spin than corriander. Maybe sweet orange, instead of bitter, and something to compliment that?.?.?.?.? Lemon and honey?? Sweet and tart?

Just trying to reinvent the wheel I guess.

I would try the sweet orange, and throw some hallertaurs in at the flovoring. I don't know your previous hops schedule, but if you already tried this, then maybe throw in full cinimon sticks at the flame out along with the orange peel. BTW, do you know how to get clear beer? The ones that my friends do are always hazy. I heard someone mention whorl flock or something of the sort. I am doing a belgium blond this weekend, and want it to be fairly clear.

Belgians by definition are not supposed to be clear. if you want it clear, don't use a belgian yeast.
You can help clear you beer by adding irish moss and/or using a secondary and I think but someone can correct me on this, but cold conditioning clears beer also?
Oh and of course you can filter it and then force carb.

I used Irish moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil and racked to a secondary for about 10 days. There was a decent amount of sediment in the carboy before bottling. When I tested the brew, it was still slightly hazy but it was fairly clear...... Kind of and oxymoron there. Hazy but clear??

Try that approach.

z987k said:
Belgians by definition are not supposed to be clear. if you want it clear, don't use a belgian yeast.
You can help clear you beer by adding irish moss and/or using a secondary and I think but someone can correct me on this, but cold conditioning clears beer also?
Oh and of course you can filter it and then force carb.
The Belgian Wit is not supposed to be clear.

My Belgian Blonde was clear as a bell and I pitched it on top of my Wit yeast.

I'd say a similar but slight twist is the blonde in my sig down below. With no additives, it had a slight orange tone. Adding some sweet orange peel would accentuate that.

It's an awesome beer.
Belgian_Blond_Pour.JPG

Belgian_Blond_Pour_1.JPG

BierMuncher said:
My Belgian Blonde was clear as a bell and I pitched it on top of my Wit yeast.
View attachment 1558
Wow, thats a beauty! what steps did you take to get it clear? also, did you use yeast starters on this? I am brewing a grain/DME belgian this Saturday, so I might make a starter tomorow.

z987k said:
z987k, I'd take a look at this site BJCP.org. It has TONS of info on every style of beer. Everything from appearance to ingredients to appearance is covered.

And pa-in-utah, thanks for the suggestion. I think I will try the irish moss, unless of course BierMuncher lets me in on his secret of getting it crystal clear like the one in the pictures!

I've used KC Superkleer finings in the past with success. Of course, if you're allergic to shellfish, you can't use it, but otherwise...

Latest posts

Back