Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > recipe help with WLP400 belgian yeast

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #1
pa-in-utah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default recipe help with WLP400 belgian yeast

Just did a belgian wit and have an extra vial of yeast.... Can someone help me out?? I am thinking a Grand Cru style with honey, but I want to use something other than corriander and bitter orange peel since I just brewed the Belgian wit. Can you give me some alternatives to corriander and bitter orange peel? Just want a different spin than corriander. Maybe sweet orange, instead of bitter, and something to compliment that?.?.?.?.? Lemon and honey?? Sweet and tart?

Just trying to reinvent the wheel I guess.

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2007, 09:02 AM   #2
cool brew
Recipes 

I would try the sweet orange, and throw some hallertaurs in at the flovoring. I don't know your previous hops schedule, but if you already tried this, then maybe throw in full cinimon sticks at the flame out along with the orange peel. BTW, do you know how to get clear beer? The ones that my friends do are always hazy. I heard someone mention whorl flock or something of the sort. I am doing a belgium blond this weekend, and want it to be fairly clear.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Belgians by definition are not supposed to be clear. if you want it clear, don't use a belgian yeast.
You can help clear you beer by adding irish moss and/or using a secondary and I think but someone can correct me on this, but cold conditioning clears beer also?
Oh and of course you can filter it and then force carb.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:55 PM   #4
pa-in-utah
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I used Irish moss during the last 15 minutes of the boil and racked to a secondary for about 10 days. There was a decent amount of sediment in the carboy before bottling. When I tested the brew, it was still slightly hazy but it was fairly clear...... Kind of and oxymoron there. Hazy but clear??

Try that approach.

Clinton, Utah

Primary: "Holiday Hooch"... Apfelwein spiced with Cinnamon and brown sugar.
Secondary 1: German Wheat
Secondary 2: Nuttin'
Bottled: Hefe (002), Belgian Honey Ale (003), Arrogant Ale (005), Schwheat Honey Wheat (006), "J&R" Cream Ale (007), Apfelwein (008), The Dogs Bollocks English Ale (009), Cinn-Nilla Spice Ale (010), Apple-Berry Apfelwein (011)
On Deck: German Kolsch

Old 04-24-2007, 04:06 PM   #5
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
Belgians by definition are not supposed to be clear. if you want it clear, don't use a belgian yeast.
You can help clear you beer by adding irish moss and/or using a secondary and I think but someone can correct me on this, but cold conditioning clears beer also?
Oh and of course you can filter it and then force carb.
The Belgian Wit is not supposed to be clear.

My Belgian Blonde was clear as a bell and I pitched it on top of my Wit yeast.

I'd say a similar but slight twist is the blonde in my sig down below. With no additives, it had a slight orange tone. Adding some sweet orange peel would accentuate that.

It's an awesome beer.
belgian_blond_pour.jpg

belgian_blond_pour_1.jpg

Old 04-24-2007, 06:36 PM   #6
cool brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
My Belgian Blonde was clear as a bell and I pitched it on top of my Wit yeast.
Attachment 1558
Wow, thats a beauty! what steps did you take to get it clear? also, did you use yeast starters on this? I am brewing a grain/DME belgian this Saturday, so I might make a starter tomorow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k
z987k, I'd take a look at this site BJCP.org. It has TONS of info on every style of beer. Everything from appearance to ingredients to appearance is covered.

And pa-in-utah, thanks for the suggestion. I think I will try the irish moss, unless of course BierMuncher lets me in on his secret of getting it crystal clear like the one in the pictures!

Old 04-24-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've used KC Superkleer finings in the past with success. Of course, if you're allergic to shellfish, you can't use it, but otherwise...

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Quick Reply