New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Odd blobs floating in beer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #1
BrokenTooth
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Odd blobs floating in beer

Hello all,

I brewed Yuri's extract version of the Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale a few weeks ago, it is currently finishing up its second week in the secondary. it tastes and smells great, the OG/FG were right on (from what beer calculus said they should be), and there were no unusual sanitation issues.

The catch is, there are some odd white stringy blobs floating in the beer above the trub. they seem to be stationary, but they will move up and down in the beer during the day (probably from the change in temperature of the beer). They started during the beginning of the clearing stage, and I thought they were just going to fall out into the trub, but no such luck.

Any ideas on what these may be/should i be worried? I've never had an infected beer (knock on wood), so I dont know what to look for really, but it smells and looks normal besides this. Links to pictures are posted below.

the ones on the side:

one at the top:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
pdbreen
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I may be missing it in first pic (the bottom), but what I see is yeast/trub residue sticking to the glass.

But, that one in the second pic on the top looks like a jellyfish if you ask me.

On Deck: Centennial IPA, Dry Irish Stout
P: Cascade Pale Ale
S: (nothing!)
K: (nothing!)
T: Carbed Crystal Light, Root Beer, Vanilla Cream Soda, Tripel IPA, Apfelwein

e^(pi*i) + 1 = 0

Old 10-12-2009, 08:21 PM   #3
BrokenTooth
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbreen View Post
I may be missing it in first pic (the bottom), but what I see is yeast/trub residue sticking to the glass.

But, that one in the second pic on the top looks like a jellyfish if you ask me.
thats one lucky jellyfish then! yeah from the picture it does look like it is residue on the glass, but it is definitely free-floating in the beer. all the ones on the bottom are also jellyfish-like as well

Old 10-12-2009, 08:33 PM   #4
springer

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts

I get them from time to time. I think its just the break the yeast and some trapped CO2 making it float around.

'The taxpayer: That's someone who works for the federal government but doesn't have to take the civil service examination.'- Ronald Reagan

Old 10-12-2009, 08:36 PM   #5
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

yeah normal floating gunk. nothing to be worried about. it should settle with time.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Quick Reply