NB Extract Kits - heads up!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VApatriot

Reaction score
:mad:I just tried to order a couple of extract kits from Northern Brewer and requested that they not crush the grains with the kits. I was told that they can't leave the "specialty grains" that are included with the kits whole (not crushed).

Here's my problem with this:

1) I was planning on waiting until early spring to brew these kits and didn't want the grains sitting around crushed waiting for the weather to cooperate.

2) I like to crush my grains myself right before I brew. I really like the crush I get from my barley crusher and don't necessarily know, or trust that they will crush them as well as I do.

I was told that thier inability to take special requests of this nature is due to some order management process and that they can't change this "improved, efficient" process. I did like the kits I made from them in the past and they were able to leave the grains whole back then.

Personally I think this is a really dumb idea. I certainly won't be ordering any kits from them in the future. Way to go, you just lost my business! Time to order from AHS instead.

I just thought I would share my experience to my fellow HBT brothers and sisters. If you already knew about this then you're ahead of me.

From a production standpoint, it makes sense. They'd have to keep inventory for two versions of the same kit. Maybe that's what they were trying to say?

Thanks for the heads up. Not a great concern for me, but can understand how this might be troublesome for some.

thanks for the warning. you probably already know this but if you dont want the grains crushed you can just order the grains from the recipe and store them most sites will give the recipe in the description youll probably have to order more than you need but theyll be whole

Lol at "improved and efficient" process. All that means is that they are pre-packaging their kits. Depending on how popular the specific kit is who knows how long its been sitting.
I'm fairly certain AHS states they build each kit to order.

i'd guess "order management process" = the kits are already made, boxed up, and sitting in a shelf waiting for your order.

Its like going to a big chain restaurant. You can't order Pasta X without mushrooms because the mushrooms are already in the sauce which comes in prepackaged, single serve, frozen bags, fresh from the factory in New Mexico.

Well, I think the heads up is great. If there is a sale or something I could see stocking up and such. I understand from their standpoint though for sure. It sucks but you can piece together the recipe pretty easily. AHS is one of the few who don't give the ingredients list, but NB does and I love that.

Back