LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 05:18 PM   #11
double_e5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprez25 View Post
I thought Nottingham was fairly neutral in flavor and tolerated "higher" temps i.e 68degrees or so. Also, how did you under pitch? A standard packet of Notti should be more than enough for a 5 gallon batch. Was your OG too high? I'm simply asking because I have an Impreial Pale (og of 1.070) that used Nottingham and it came out with a strong alcohol taste, but no estery flavors to it. I have three batches (Impreial PA, Oktoberfestale, and Light Ale) either just in bottles or ready to bottle, and all of them used Nottingham.
If your OG is under 1.075 or so, one pack of Notty will be fine. Unless his gravity was well over 1.100 or he didn't pitch the whole package did he waaayyyyy underpitch.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2009, 06:05 PM   #12
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
If your OG is under 1.075 or so, one pack of Notty will be fine. Unless his gravity was well over 1.100 or he didn't pitch the whole package did he waaayyyyy underpitch.
My OG was 1.09, with too many points being just sugar (brown sugar and lyles golden syrup).

For that OG of "normal" wort, Mr. Malty says 1.6 packs of properly rehydrated yeast. For my sugary wort, I should have probably used 2 packs of properly rehydrated yeast.

I only used 1 packet just sprinkled on the wort. Ambient temp ws around 69F for the duration of the fermentation. This actually attenuated very well because of all the damn sugar but, because of the esters, it's practically undrinkable.

This was one of my first brews quite some time ago. I still have most of these bananariffic beers stashed away if anyone wants to come by for a monkeyfest.

I learned from my mistakes...yeast stressed from underpitching and too damn much sugar make off flavors. These days, I pitch the proper amount and I don't use more than a half pound of sugar as an adjunct - better to use more malt anyway.

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Last edited by carbon111; 07-29-2009 at 08:09 PM. Reason: typos

Old 07-29-2009, 09:16 PM   #13
double_e5
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon111 View Post
These days, I pitch the proper amount and I don't use more than a half pound of sugar as an adjunct - better to use more malt anyway.
A little off topic, but many outstanding beers have been made with more than a half pound of sugar. At the right fermentation temperature and plenty of time to condition, you shouldn't be getting those banana or hot alcohol flavors.

Old 07-29-2009, 09:59 PM   #14
carbon111
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_e5 View Post
A little off topic, but many outstanding beers have been made with more than a half pound of sugar. At the right fermentation temperature and plenty of time to condition, you shouldn't be getting those banana or hot alcohol flavors.
Agreed...as long as there's plenty of yeast as well.

Best Regards, James
--
My beer blog: http://brewdujour.blogspot.com
My website: http://www.carbon111.com

Fermenting: Carbon's Grizzly Bear, Young's Special London Ale (clone)

Bottled/Conditioning:Siberian Raven Winter Ale, Cherry Tree Porter, Victoria's Dirty Secret

Drinking: Montgomery Scottish Ale, Thames American Bitter, Crow's Beak Old Ale, Bastet Brown, Carbon's Cascade Ale, Red Silo Honey IPA

Old 07-30-2009, 05:18 PM   #15
headfullahops
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 10

It has to be a combo of the yeast strain and fermentation temp. That's where banana esters come from.

Quick Reply