Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Double Coopers Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
metaldwarf
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Double Coopers Kit

I bought two cans of Coopers Bitter

I have made these kits in the past, with decent success. One of the instructions is to dissolve an additional 1KG of sugars into the wart.

Since the coopers cans are 1.7KG of LME, this works out to roughly 1KG of DME or Dextrose.

SOOO I was just going to use two cans and not add sugar. Should this work?

Also the recipe on the website recommends adding an additional 500g of "Brew Enhancer" which I assume is just DME. Should I double this as well? or will I not need it at all since I am already doubling the kit?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 AM   #2
McGarnigle
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 11

No idea about brew enhancer, but using two cans of extract is fine. You're not making the beer exactly as intended, but that may be for the better.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
$bill
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've made these kits before, and I don't use sugar. I used unhopped LME, and the beer was fine.

Are those Cooper's kits made for five- or six-gallon batches? If I recall correctly, it is six. If you're making a five-gallon batch, two cans will contribute about 7.5 lbs of LME, which seems kind of low to me, but if it works for you...

Old 01-19-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
hbhudy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

2.5# of DME (light or amber) and 1# of crystal grains makes a fantastic batch. Keep the fermentation temp around 21c and make certain to shake the h&ll out of it to add air. You will be happy. Also if you boil some hops (Golding or Fuggles 0.5oz) for 10 minutes can help put this over the top.

Makes a good beer with quick brew day

Old 01-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #5
rocketcrab
Recipes 

The Aussies calls this method of brewing a "toucan". It appears to be quite an art form down under. Some of their forums have sections devoted to toucan brewing and recipes.

Quick Reply