Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brewhouse Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 11:42 PM   #21
Jmac00
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yuppers......S&S i find has a bigger selection as apposed to the other place. But sometimes shop at both pending on the prices of certain things...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 PM   #22
ThirstyStudent
Recipes 

I've been looking at these kits as well, seems pretty fool proof. What would guys think about adding pumpkin to the Winterfest Ale? I want to take advantage of all the cheap pumpkin kicking around and wonder which kit it would go best with.

Drinking: Prairie Wheat, American Cream Ale
Gone but not forgotten: American Lager

Planning: Winterfest Pumpkin Ale, Oberdorfer Weissbier Clone

Old 10-24-2008, 06:05 AM   #23
messler
Recipes 

I just put in a batch of the winterfest and the OG was 1.072!! There are either a lot of unfermentables in there or it's going to be a very merry christmas. I also think i'm going to add the extra spices to it right when i move it into the secondary to give it some extra kick.

Old 10-14-2010, 07:45 PM   #24
xoltri
Recipes 

I was just at my LHBS and there was a sign up saying that there were production problems with a bunch of Brewhouse kits so I'm sure they will start to be hard to find for who knows how long. Just an FYI.

Old 10-14-2010, 11:28 PM   #25
paraordnance
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm just about to keg my first batch ever, its The Brewhouse Pilsner kit, I hope it turns out ok, I'm not expecting miracles from kit beer, just hope its decent and drinkable

Old 10-15-2010, 04:02 AM   #26
xoltri
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
I'm just about to keg my first batch ever, its The Brewhouse Pilsner kit, I hope it turns out ok, I'm not expecting miracles from kit beer, just hope its decent and drinkable
Let me know what you think of it. I've done the red, honey, oktoberfest, cream, IPA so far and I bought the canadian light lager today. I'm also experimenting with the Wyeast packs (1098 brit ale and now 1056 american ale) to see the difference from the coopers. I plan on trying most, if not all of these kits; they do make awesome beer.

Old 10-15-2010, 04:45 AM   #27
paraordnance
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoltri View Post
Let me know what you think of it. I've done the red, honey, oktoberfest, cream, IPA so far and I bought the canadian light lager today. I'm also experimenting with the Wyeast packs (1098 brit ale and now 1056 american ale) to see the difference from the coopers. I plan on trying most, if not all of these kits; they do make awesome beer.
I just sampled some of my "pseudo" Pilsner . It was fermented at way too high temperatures (up to 78F first couple days of active fermentation, around 65-68 after) and it will have odd taste to it I'm sure, too bad I started reading this forum after I pitched yeast. But I'll learn. So far its hard to judge, its my first batch after all. My ABV seems little low for pilsner (4.4%) so it will be light beer. I followed instructions just to realize I should have used 1/2 of reccomended water for better taste. I will rack it to keg tomorrow and condition it for 3 weeks, then see what happens. Either way I'm moving to extract/partial mash brewing. I already ordered ingredients for Belgian White Beer and have enough equipment to take a stab at it. I read a really good reviews about Brewhouse kits and some day will definatelly do one again, it just so simple and quick, perfect for begginers. The only thing I dont like about kits is limited veriety

Old 10-20-2010, 04:49 AM   #28
abrdnck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

My first kit was a Brewhouse pilsner. At first, I thought it was pretty mediocre, but after about 2 months in the bottle it was quite delicious.

The best thing about the Brewhouse kits is that they can be hacked so easily. I made up the Dupe-all recipe from their website (Duvel clone) and tried my first bottle tonight. Still is a bit young - I need about another 2 months of bottle conditioning - but it was delicious. Like Duvel, it is very drinkable and it is easy to forget that it is about 8.5% alcohol. I have also made an Anchor Steam clone from a hacked kit which is quite tasty.

After Christmas, I might try to do a sour or an Orval clone with brewhouse wort. I'm hoping for something close to the style, even though it won't be perfect.

They aren't the cheapest way to make beer, but the results can be awesome. One of these days I'm going to get an IPA kit, add only 4L of extra water, use a better yeast and dryhop with Cascade. It will be just as easy as following the kit instructions, but will give a much better beer.

I plan to switch to all-grain one of these days, but until then I can be happily drinking delicious and unique beers from my hacked kits.

Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #29
paraordnance
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrdnck View Post
My first kit was a Brewhouse pilsner. At first, I thought it was pretty mediocre, but after about 2 months in the bottle it was quite delicious.

The best thing about the Brewhouse kits is that they can be hacked so easily. I made up the Dupe-all recipe from their website (Duvel clone) and tried my first bottle tonight. Still is a bit young - I need about another 2 months of bottle conditioning - but it was delicious. Like Duvel, it is very drinkable and it is easy to forget that it is about 8.5% alcohol. I have also made an Anchor Steam clone from a hacked kit which is quite tasty.

After Christmas, I might try to do a sour or an Orval clone with brewhouse wort. I'm hoping for something close to the style, even though it won't be perfect.

They aren't the cheapest way to make beer, but the results can be awesome. One of these days I'm going to get an IPA kit, add only 4L of extra water, use a better yeast and dryhop with Cascade. It will be just as easy as following the kit instructions, but will give a much better beer.

I plan to switch to all-grain one of these days, but until then I can be happily drinking delicious and unique beers from my hacked kits.
hey abrdnck, mind you asking little off topic, where do you buy grains/extract in Calgary? I found a place in Edmonton but selection is very limited. I'm from Red Deer

I'm still waiting on my Pilsner, its kegged and I bottled couple to sample them. The beer is very clear after a month, I'll give it another week or two and then will try it. Will report here

Old 10-21-2010, 12:12 AM   #30
abrdnck
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraordnance View Post
hey abrdnck, mind you asking little off topic, where do you buy grains/extract in Calgary? I found a place in Edmonton but selection is very limited. I'm from Red Deer

I'm still waiting on my Pilsner, its kegged and I bottled couple to sample them. The beer is very clear after a month, I'll give it another week or two and then will try it. Will report here
The Vineyard is the place in town to get grains, hops and extract. There are 2 stores, but the one in the south is bigger. Website - www.thevineyard.ca

Quick Reply