best head retention method?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmythefoot

Reaction score
so i have been searching around and know about Carapils and it's ability to aid head retention.

I also saw how flaked wheat or barley can aid in it. My question is am i simply steeping these flakes or am i doing a mini mash with them?

I use carapils, but I've never used any flaked grains so I can't say about that. I've also heard priming with muntons kreamyx works well for that purpose, but I also heard it contains propylene glycol (antifreeze! :cross:), so I'm afraid to try it.

I use carapils, but I've never used any flaked grains so I can't say about that. I've also heard priming with muntons kreamyx works well for that purpose, but I also heard it contains propylene glycol (antifreeze! :cross:), so I'm afraid to try it.

No. Antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the FDA for direct use in food products.

For head retention, use more crystal malts (up to 20%) or wheat products, and more hops. Hop oils are a crucial part of stabilizing head foam that most people don't know about.

You can steep carapils to get some help with head retention. That was one of the first ingredients I stepped up to using, for that reason, other grains in my extract recipes.

I have been using 8oz of carapils in my last few batches and have great head retention and also used cara 60 and victory with force carbing Its been turning out really well!
You can steep carapils to get some help with head retention. That was one of the first ingredients I stepped up to using, for that reason, other grains in my extract recipes.

No. Antifreeze is ethylene glycol. Propylene glycol is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by the FDA for direct use in food products.

For head retention, use more crystal malts (up to 20%) or wheat products, and more hops. Hop oils are a crucial part of stabilizing head foam that most people don't know about.

ah yes my fault, my chem engineering roommate would be disappointed

however, there are endless lists of chemicals that are fda approved that i wouldn't let anywhere near my beer. i'm sure its safe, otherwise they couldn't sell it, but i like to keep the extras to a minimum.

First thought based on the thread title was don't marry her and but her lost of jewlery

My ASE certs won't let me sit quietly without mentioning that both ethylene and propylene glycols are used as antifreeze in automobiles. Propylene glycol is used in cough syrup and helps it stick to your throat. You'll understand why if you ever put your hands in engine coolant.

The alpha acids of hops also do their part to aid in head retention. Jewelry might also work, but sometimes it's just easier to find a new source of head.. retention.

Looks like we've been injesting/coming in contact with Proplyene Glycol on a daily basis for years, and we've never known, or stressed about it, so I don't think I'd stress anymore about Kreamy X than I am about propylene glycol...

Propylene glycol is used:

As a solvent in many pharmaceuticals, including oral, injectable and topical formulations. Notably, diazepam, which is insoluble in water, uses propylene glycol as its solvent in its clinical, injectable form.[5]
As a humectant food additive, labeled as E number E1520
As an emulsification agent in Angostura and orange bitters
As a moisturizer in medicines, cosmetics, food, toothpaste, shampoo, mouth wash, hair care and tobacco products
As a carrier in fragrance oils
As an ingredient in massage oils
In hand sanitizers, antibacterial lotions, and saline solutions
In smoke machines to make artificial smoke for use in firefighters' training and theatrical productions
In electronic cigarettes, as a vaporizable base for diluting the nicotine liquid
As a solvent for food colors and flavorings
As an ingredient, along with wax and gelatin, in the production of paintballs
As a moisture stabilizer (humectant) for snus (Swedish style snuff).
As a cooling agent for beer and wine glycol jacketed fermentation tanks
As a non-toxic antifreeze for winterizing drinking water systems, and in applications where the used antifreeze eventually will be drained into the soil, water, or a septic system.[6]
As a less-toxic antifreeze in solar water heating systems
As a solvent used in mixing photographic chemicals, such as film developers
In cryonics
As a working fluid in hydraulic presses
As a coolant in liquid cooling systems
To regulate humidity in a cigar humidor
As the killing and preserving agent in pitfall traps, usually used to capture ground beetles
As an additive to pipe tobacco to prevent dehydration.
To treat livestock ketosis
As the main ingredient in deodorant sticks.
To de-ice aircraft.[7]
As an ingredient in UV or blacklight tattoo ink
As a lubricant in air conditioning compressors.

Clean glassware helps head retention more than anything you add to the beer.

Back