Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Anyone have a extract recipe for Blue moon clone?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2007, 04:44 AM   #21
DSLZen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks all! Not trying to clone Blue Moon per se, just trying to get the idea of that style of beer into a bottle. I'm not much into cloning...If I want Blue Moon I'd just buy it (and I do).

I just dig what it is and would like to get something along the same lines. All I know for sure is that when I racked into secondary it smelled *heavenly*. I hope to bottle next weekend...

I'll need to polish off another half case of my "prohibition" style experiment I tried. Not to get off topic but that is an interesting brew. Had over a pound of table suger in it. I found it in my wifes grandfathers journels from wayyyy back in the day.

The recipe you ask? One can of any hopped extract, a pound of suger. Very cidery from the suger, but that is an interesting taste. It's not overpowering, kind of unique. Not something that you find on a store shelf, thats for sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2007, 11:15 AM   #22
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertBrew
Also, you have to use a liquid yeast strain for this style of beer; not a dry yeast. Such as White Labs Belgium Wit (WLP400) or the Wyeast equivalent.
There are many wheat/wit/hefe yeasts available in liquid, but this statement above is isn't totally accurate. There is a dry wheat yeast out there. I plan on testing it today on a 2.5 gallon batch of Wit.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/produ...px?ProdID=7119

Product Description:
Brewferm Blanche (12 grams): The new dried brewing yeast from Brewferm has arrived! Brewferm Blanche is a top fermenting yeast suitable for producing Belgian-style Witbiers and other brews where light banana and clove aromas are desired.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:48 PM   #23
Georgian Novice

Recipes 

Thanks to all for the Orange-Wheat Beer Recipe that emulates the Blue Moon. Haven't tried it myself but think that is going to be my next brew. I tried the Hoegaarden Clone recipe in one of the Clone Brew Books and noticed that, indeed, like others have said, it came out darker and much stronger in flavor than what I was looking for. I boxed it up and put it down in the cellar for a few months for aging and will come back to it in March and see how she tastes.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:08 PM   #24
rdwj

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts

I serve this one as to friends and family that are blue moon fans. It's a bigger beer, but MAN is it good...

Ingredients / procedure:

8 oz. Carapils malt steep for 30 minutes@ 155
6 pounds of Extra Light Dried Malt Extract @60 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau bittering hops @60 minutes
2 pounds of Clover Honey @ 20 minutes
1 oz. crushed Coriander @ 5 minutes
1 oz. sweet Orange Peel @ 5 minutes
1 oz. Hallertau aroma hops @ 2 minutes
Belgian wit yeast

The honey takes a while to ferment. Both times I've made it, it was in the primary for nearly 2 weeks

Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #25
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
As to the color issue, look up "late extract addition" techniques. There's no need for extract to be boiled a full hour; you can add most of it to the boil in the last twenty minutes and it will be sanitized (you don't need to worry about getting a hot break with extract, most was removed during the manufacturing process).

As a side note, hops utilization is higher with less extract in the boil during the beginning, and with these kinds of beers you've got to be REALLY careful about that.

What this will do is lighten up the beer considerably. It may still have "too much" flavor, but at least you'll have something that LOOKS more appropriate.
Thanks, Bird...

I'll have to try this method with my next Belgian. The recipes I were using always said to boil the extracts (after steeping the grains) for 45-60 minutes. I can't say I dislike the results of my extracts sitting through long boils. Though I like the sound of this shortened extract boil, is there any reason a long boil would be benefiticial?

Primary 1: The Astronomer: An Imperial Stout
Primary 2: NA
Secondary 1: Potion #6: An Irish Stout
Bottled/Conditioning:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Bottled/Drinking:
- Vander Maass German Wheat
- Mad Tiger: Honey IPA
Up Next:
- undecided

Old 01-16-2007, 07:32 AM   #26
wild
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gBrewer
Add some specialty grains to this, like wheat, and it should be pretty tasty!

Boiling in 2g of water I'm assuming, right?
Yes, a partial boil.

Wild
  3. Robust Porter
  4. Russian Imperial Stout
  5. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Citra
  6. Mirror Pond Clone dry hopped with Centennial
Primary - Nada
Secondary -
From man's sweat and God's love, beer came into the world. -- Saint Arnoldus

Old 01-16-2007, 11:56 AM   #27
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gBrewer
Though I like the sound of this shortened extract boil, is there any reason a long boil would be benefiticial?
Even with a late extract edition, you are still going to need a "long"/60 minute boil in most cases... You need the longer duartion boil (with or without extracts) to extract the bittering oils from your hops.

So basically, you can late add the extract and boil the extract for only 15 minutes, but if you make the entire boil 15 minutes (hops and all), your bittering from the hops is going to be lacking...

Old 01-16-2007, 12:01 PM   #28
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

^ With that said, please note boiling hops in just water for 15-30-45 minutes before the extract edition is going to give them much higher utilization/bittering qualities in that time. So make sure you plan your hop schedule accordingly with the late edition.

Some good brewing software would help you plan out this late extract edition a little better than just guessing...

What I do with BeerSmith if I want to do a late edition is make (in essence) 2 recipes in the software. You need to play around this way because there is not a simple checkbox or something for a 'late edition' of extract... So, I start a recipe with basically the steeping grains, boil size [water], duration, and hops I plan to use in the first part (no extract) of the boil. This will give me an idea of the IBUs I can expect from boiled hops before extract edition. Then I'll modify the recipe or create a second recipe with the extracts, remaining hop schedule, remaining boil time, etc. to get an idea how it will finish up. I think overall it allows me to paint a decent picture of how the late extract edition will work; probably not perfect and won't be until BeerSmith configures itself to except recipes with late edition, but better than just guessing...

Old 01-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #29
DSLZen
Recipes 

OK, just checked the gravity and it's 1.020, not quite down to the 1.010 that I'm expecting. It has been fermenting for about three weeks now. It is still bubbling about every 30-45 secongs. Should I RDWHAHB?

Aging: White Ale, California Common
Drinking: John Bull Pilsner, Austrailian Pale Ale
On Deck: The balls to go all-grain

Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 PM   #30
DSLZen
Recipes 

OK, FG is down to 1.012. Beer is clear with only a few bits of foamy head in the secondary fermentor. Recipe states OG should be at 1.010. The beer tastes sweet, but I assume that is from the 2.5 lbs of honey. It's been in a fermentation vessle for over a month.

Do you all think it is ready to go?

Aging: White Ale, California Common
Drinking: John Bull Pilsner, Austrailian Pale Ale
On Deck: The balls to go all-grain

Quick Reply