The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > 10g extract batch?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2008, 07:51 PM   #1
brrman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default 10g extract batch?

I am going through beer so fast I need to step up to 10 gallon batches!

I am in no position to start all grain yet (getting there), so how much recipe alteration is required to do a 10 gallon extract batch? Does anyone actually do 10 gallon extract??

thanks!

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
FlyingHorse
Formerly Bike N Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I don't know anyone who does 10g extract batches, but the choices I can think of would be:

1) double everything from a 5g batch (extract, steep grains, hops -- 2x but same schedule, boil size, top-up water). This would probably require you to buy a bigger pot

2) Keep the size of the boil the same, but double your extracts and steeping grains. You'll have to more than 2x the hops, because the thicker boil wort will reduce your utilization. So 10 gallons will cost you more than 2x 5 gallons. And obviously, you'll be using more top-up water.

3) Use the same recipes you use for 5g batches, do back-to-back (or side-by-side, if you have two pots) boils, and ferment them together.

Personally, I think I'd go for number 3; even if you only have one pot you're only investing an additional hour or so fro the extra boil.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:40 PM   #3
Spames
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I plan on going to 10 gal for my next batch. I will do a full boil in my keggle, and probably do late extract addition.

I'm considering pre-dissolving DME in another pot on a different burner while the grains are steeping to save some time, and make the 14lb DME addition a little less nerve racking.

I'm leaning towards 7 gallons in main kettle with grains, and about 10% of my extract and hops for the full boil, and then in the last 15 minutes, adding the 4 gallons of water and the rest of the extract.

I'm just not sure how to adjust the hop schedule with a 7 gallon boil and late addition of 4 gal water+14lb DME. I'm thinking about a 20% reduction from a doubled 5gal recipe, and seeing how it turns out.

Old 04-19-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
brrman
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 16

cool guys - thanks.
I have come across a keggle, this is why I am asking about the 10g batch. I have the pot - why not double my batch size?

. SN Tumbler Clone
. Nierra Sevada
Secondary:
Primary:
. SN Tumbler Clone 10g
. Sycamore Oatmeal Porter 10g
. Nierra Sevada 10g
On Deck:
Kegged:

Being a perfectionist does not make one perfect.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
RodfatherX
Recipes 

But, if you have the keggle already.....why not go ahead and spend another $40 or so and make a MLT and then go all grain? You can just have your home brew shop crush it for you if you are not ready to get a mill. Just throwing it out here I'm sure you've thought about it already.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #6
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did 1 10gal extract batch while I was converting form extract to all grain. I had the keggle made already, so I figgured why not? Yeah, just double your ingredients and do a full boil in the keggle.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 04-19-2008, 08:37 PM   #7
Spames
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodfatherX
But, if you have the keggle already.....why not go ahead and spend another $40 or so and make a MLT and then go all grain? You can just have your home brew shop crush it for you if you are not ready to get a mill. Just throwing it out here I'm sure you've thought about it already.
For me it's just the time factor. I know AG is better and less expensive to make, but I have way too many irons in the fire to go that route.

My 5 gal brew sessions from start to pitching yeast have been about 3 hrs including clean-up. I usually start around 9pm and finish up around midnight. Can't do that with AG 8)

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM   #8
count barleywine
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A friend and I brew 10 gal baches, extract, with normal equipment. We brew roughly 5 gallons during the boil, after the boil we top that up to six gallons, split THAT 3 and 3 into two fermenters, and top those up to 5 gal each. We've focused on good cool ferm temps lately and the results are great.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #9
jezter6
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I did it once before going to all grain and aside from cost, not much different to it if you already have the keggle and propane burner.

Doing 10g extract inside would be a nightmare, but if you can do the full boil, just do the full boil. Just remember you need so have 2-3 gallons of extra water in to account for evaporation. Your keggle/burner will have it's own evap ratio, so you should be able to dial that in pretty good with some trial and error. Just don't put in 10g expecting to get 10g out of it.

I am a member of the Maryland Brewday Group - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/groups/md-brew-day/

MD Dec Brewday 12/11/10 - http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f20/md-p...ew-day-195534/

Old 04-21-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Invest in a copy of BeerSmith. It'll make you a better brewer.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply