What grains would get me close to DME(Amber Extract)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

impatient

Reaction score
I was thinking 2-row, Munich and Crystal 60. I figured I would ask incase someone has already invented the wheel.

I was thinking 2-row, Munich and Crystal 60. I figured I would ask incase someone has already invented the wheel.

I doubt very much that there is any Munich malt in the typical amber malt extract. Rather than trying to duplicate an extract, IMO you would be better off trying to match an all-grain recipe to the beer or style you are aiming for. :mug:

I doubt very much that there is any Munich malt in the typical amber malt extract. Rather than trying to duplicate an extract, IMO you would be better off trying to match an all-grain recipe to the beer or style you are aiming for. :mug:

Well, that is what I am trying to do. I made an Amber Ale from .5 Crystal 60 and 6 Amber DME. It turned out great, but, now I have moved to AG, so, I would like to replicate that recipe with the cheaper AG route.

I guess I will try with this and adjust.

7 lbs. American 2-row
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 80?L
.5 lbs. Munich Malt
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 40?L
.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraRed?
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 20 minutes.
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 0 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale

I guess I will try with this and adjust.

7 lbs. American 2-row
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 80?L
.5 lbs. Munich Malt
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 40?L
.5 lbs. Weyermann CaraRed?
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 20 minutes.
1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 5.50 %AA) boiled 0 minutes.
Yeast: WYeast 1332 Northwest Ale

That's the better way to do it. The problem is that except in rare cases the manufacturers don't tell you exactly what is in the various extracts. You don't have to worry about that with all grain since you can mix and match anything you want. If you want another .02 from me I would suggest simplifying the crystals and settle on one, two at the most. If you like the Munich flavor boost it a bit, even replacing some of the pale malt. Maybe 5 lbs pale, 3 lbs Munich and 3/4 lb 40L crystal.

Back