The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > What to do with this water.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 11:42 PM   #1
KingKlong
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Default What to do with this water.

To be to the point, I have 10 gallons of distilled water that I am wondering if I can make any use of. I have read many threads, and didn't see this question answered.

Could I use 5 of them along with five gallons of regular water? I know for all grain I need some minerals in the water. I'm just wondering if the entire volume needs the minerals or if some is enough.

Other options would be to try and exchange the 8 unopened gallons, add minerals to it based on what I'm brewing which I have no knowledge of how to do, or use it instead of tap water for my sanitizer.

All input is appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 11:46 PM   #2
afr0byte
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKlong View Post
To be to the point, I have 10 gallons of distilled water that I am wondering if I can make any use of. I have read many threads, and didn't see this question answered.

Could I use 5 of them along with five gallons of regular water? I know for all grain I need some minerals in the water. I'm just wondering if the entire volume needs the minerals or if some is enough.

Other options would be to try and exchange the 8 unopened gallons, add minerals to it based on what I'm brewing which I have no knowledge of how to do, or use it instead of tap water for my sanitizer.

All input is appreciated.
What's the mineral profile of your tap water?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:43 AM   #3
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have no idea. It's winston Salem, nc city water though if that tells you anything.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #4
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
I have no idea. It's winston Salem, nc city water though if that tells you anything.
I'd suggest, regardless of whether you use your water or the distilled, that you follow the water primer in the Brewing Science sticky threads.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I don't think I really have the time for that. I guess I'll see if I vantage exchange the 8 unopened gallons. I did find this on my tap water. Would you brew with it?

http://www.cityofws.org/Assets/CityO...75x14%2038.pdf

Old 03-15-2013, 12:59 AM   #6
afr0byte
Recipes 

Quote:
I don't think I really have the time for that. I guess I'll see if I vantage exchange the 8 unopened gallons. I did find this on my tap water. Would you brew with it?

http://www.cityofws.org/Assets/CityO...75x14%2038.pdf
Yes your water is good for brewing. What do you mean you don't have time for it? The primer just consists of using your water (since you have low alkalinity water) and adding a teaspoon of calcium chloride per 5 gallons, and then adding 2% (of your grain bill) acid malt to your grain bill.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I mean I don't have time to learn to calculate and then figure the numbers. It would be nothing on brewntime it sounds like. I just want to brew after work tomorrow while the wife is away and don't have time between now and then to do much besides pick up ingredients. That includes bottled water usually.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:12 AM   #8
afr0byte
Recipes 

This may help: http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

Old 03-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #9
KingKlong
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I appreciate the effort, but something like that is outside my frame of knowledge. I don't know what my target us when using the calculator. That's why I just use deer park most of the time. The store just didn't have it last time and I carelessly bought distilled instead of drinking. I noticed when opening and then went to a different store for drinking water.

Quick Reply