What to do... BIAB or build a Mash Tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone give me some advice on the stage of post boil with BIAB. I have done two batches and have found that the wort pre-boil is very cloudy and contributes to an even cloudier post boil after the hop additions. I did the hops in muslin bags. So at post boil and when cooling with my submersion chiller I like to whirlpool stir with it so that there will be a nice pooling of trub in the center on the bottom. How long should I let that cooled to pitching temperature wort sit in the kettle so that all the nasty's settle to the bottom? Whats the average wait time on that?

Can anyone give me some advice on the stage of post boil with BIAB. I have done two batches and have found that the wort pre-boil is very cloudy and contributes to an even cloudier post boil after the hop additions. I did the hops in muslin bags. So at post boil and when cooling with my submersion chiller I like to whirlpool stir with it so that there will be a nice pooling of trub in the center on the bottom. How long should I let that cooled to pitching temperature wort sit in the kettle so that all the nasty's settle to the bottom? Whats the average wait time on that?

Okay, so I've only done 3 BIAB batches (but dozens of three-vessel) and I've done a few things to get clearer wort into the fermentor with BIAB:
1) adjusted my recipe to leave more in the kettle so I can cut off the flow when I get to the trub
2) add whirlfloc to the boil
3) chill rapidly to get cold-break
4) whirlpool and settle for at least 20 minutes.

I have found with BIAB whirlpooling is pretty much a waste of time, as there is too much lightweight 'trub' in there. I just put the whole lot in the fermentor, it settles out and compacts nicely in a few days.

Back