Wal-Mart Wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDuclos

Reaction score
I stumbled on this in a walmart store near me and was wondering if anyone had experience using this in a wheat beer?!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Wheat-Hard-Red-Spring/14150163

I don't have a LHBS (maybe thinking about starting my own!) within a 2 hr drive.

I would probably have to malt the grain in here and if its processed in any way I'm not sure it would actually malt correctly?

Please advise!

Here is the description:

* Prairie Gold Is Certified Chemical-Free, Hi-Protein Wheat, Grown In The High Mountain Valleys Of Montana, Between The Continental Divide And The Headwaters Of The Missouri River. By Grinding Your Own Wheat Just Like We Do Here At Wheat Montana, You'll Ensure That All Of The Natural Nutrition And Vitamins Contained In The Wheat Kernel Are Not Lost. Ground Or Unground, We're Sure You'll Notice Larger, Lighter Loaves, Better Flavor And Improved Results In All Your Recipes When You Use Prairie Gold Wheat.
* Hi-Protein Whole Wheat.
* Certified Chemical Free.

"By Grinding Your Own Wheat Just Like We Do Here At Wheat Montana..."
Sounds like it isn't ground yet.

Why Do They Have To Capitalize Every Damn Word? That is @#$%ing retarded.

That said - "hi-protein" is not what you want out of a malt. We want 'dem carbs!

"By Grinding Your Own Wheat Just Like We Do Here At Wheat Montana..."
Sounds like it isn't ground yet.

Height: 4.30
DESCRIPTION
Container Type: Bag
Form: Powder
Type: Flour
Count: 1 Count
PRODUCT_DETAILS
Finer Categorizations: Flours & Meals
More Information
Walmart No.: 009218973

JoeBronc, I saw that, along with malcs comment I should add, when I picked up the bag at walmart it felt like grain inside, not like powder in the bag, but the bag was rather thick so I may be wrong. I think I might take a small tear in the bag and check it out, is that wrong?! :O

Robtotten, I was pretty cheap, cheap enough for me to actually check out, I want to say less than 15 dollars?

Arcane, I dont think it was actually malted yet so maybe after malting we'd have more carb? Not sure about the changes that go on there though.

I read in the "Complete Joy..." about using unmodified grains as adjuncts. You have to modify them yourself before using them in your mash. Didn't seem difficult, but I would go back and reread before doing it myself. Sounds like a good thing if it pans out. Let me know.
Good luck, Mack:mug:

Considering I'll be bottling my first kit this weekend I don't think I'll get around to doing a full grain batch with this until mid summer, but if I do and if I remember I will keep you guys posted!

Back