Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Using a wind chill of -5 to chill wort

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #21
Rhoobarb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How much wort are we talking about here? My girlfriend did a partial mash last Saturday evening. We set the (tightly covered, no stirring) brewpot w/ ~3 gals. of wort outside on her porch where the actual air temp. was -1oF! After an hour, it had small ice chunks in it!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2007, 09:42 PM   #22
skifast1

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruy Lopez
Why don't you just get an adapter for your sink so you can hook a hose up to it? You might already have one if you use a bottle washer. Run the hose to your garage. Run the waste hose back to a sink or outside.

Pray for the mercy and patience of your wife/fiancé.
That would certainly be the most practical way to go - my faucet is just configured so the threads are set too deep for the adapter to reach and I haven't found a properly threaded, thin-walled extension that'll fit. FWIW it's a Moen pull-out with an integrated sprayer, hence the funky configuration. Believe me, I've considered plumbing in an auxilliary cold-water feed for just this purpose!

Primary: echos
Secondary: Nukey Brown
Keg 1: echos
Keg 2: echos
Bottled: Wind 'er Up Winter Ale

Old 02-08-2007, 01:47 AM   #23
davidkrau
Recipes 

It's bitter cold here in the Chicago area so what I do is hook a garden hose to my laundry tub faucet and run the hose up my basement stairs to my CFC and chill my wort that way.

Old 02-08-2007, 01:54 AM   #24
lefteye
Recipes 

I'd do what ere it takes to get yr system working the way youre used to. Tahtr would mean putting the hose somewhere warm until you plunck the innersion shiller in and them make a run for it.
Slowly chilled wert ... a host of flavor and clarity issues.
Come to think about it you could chill yr wert with hot water! - then when all is under control, got back to the faucts and turn from hot to cold to finish the cooling

Quick Reply