Upping to 10 gal, cooler MLT?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfooti

Reaction score
I'm in the process of figuring out an upgrade to a 10 gal brewery. It seems most of the stuff I see online uses kettle-based MLTs (a 15-20 gal pot with a false bottom, rims/herms, etc) rather than a cooler-based MLT such as the one I'm using right now in my 5-gal setup.

Any insights into this? Is it mostly a volume thing, where a respectable cooler size would just be too expensive? Or is it one of those other things where it's just how We've Always Done It?

bought my 60qt igloo cooler for 23 dollars a few weeks ago, made a cpvc manifold for it the whole thing cost me 33 bucks to throw together, pulled down 84% eff on my first brew with my new mlt. dont think it should be to expensive to step it up to 10 gal batches?

Yeah, that's roughly the size I'm looking at. I have a 10gal MLT cooler right now, which is actually big enough to do moderate (1.060 ish) beers at the 10 gal scale, but if I go through the trouble of buying a 15-20 gal boil kettle, I'll want to up the MLT size too, so I can make 10 gallons of imperial stout.

Back