Thinking about involving basil in my next beer...Thoughts? Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkindinkins

Reaction score
I have basil coming out of my ears in the back yard and am really interested in involving some in my next brew this weekend. I have never done a beer with basil so I am not really sure which direction to take it.

For starters I think it would work best in a lighter beer like a blonde or saison, but that is about as far as I have gotten with it.

If any body has any suggestions or a decent recipe that I can build off of I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

Tell him he needs to bring his own. Basil is a known mooch.

OK, I'd do a wit. 50-50 MFB or Dingemans pils malt + unmalted wheat for 5.5% abv. 20 IBU of a noble type hop at 60. Orange peel, coriander and basil for 5 mins. WLP400. If you want to jazz it up, add a little biscuit or munich malt.

Drink real soon after it finishes.

Yeah it's a strong but volatile herb. I would like to dry hop it but I don't know how to do something like that without getting infection.

I like the combo of the orange peel coriander and basil at 5. I think I will stick with that route.

I want there to be healthy malt profile with just a smidge of spicy hop in the background.

Back