temp issue comming up.......

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dapozer

Reaction score
I am doing a partial mash for the first time and trying out a new 2 gal cooler for the mash. temps are suppose to be 150-160 for 75 min. i am 20 min in and sitting at 152, start temp was 158 ish. should i worry, add hot water or just let er be.
shawn

Just let er be. You're fing for now. If it drops below 148, then you may want to adjust temp by either drawing off some of the mash, heating it up and adding it back to the mash. Or just adding a small amount boiling hot water. Since this is a partial mash, I wouldn't be overly concerned with your conversion here, since most of your fermentables will be coming from your extract.

Yeah, nothing to worry about. In the future, if you feel like you are loosing too much heat you could always wrap a blanket around the cooler for a bit of added insulation. But like barleynhops said, you are getting most of your fermentables from the extract so as long as you are somewhere near that range you should be golden.

at 30 min mark i opened it up and stirred and poked the grain around some and added some boiling water to gain temp. it is sitting at 158 and wrapped up for another 45 min. yeah :)

Latest posts

Back