Temp and bittering hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
At what temperature does bittering compounds stop being extracted from the hops?

The flavor and aroma compounds can be extracted at any temp. For example dry hoping can be done at cool temps.

But for those compounds to be isomerized into bittering requires high temps like boiling.

The reason I asked is, I've brewed several times using late hops additions and it seems that I don't get much flavor and aroma. I thought it may be that I'm not chilling fast enough, but I'm getting below 190 in a matter of a couple minutes. I guess I just need to use more hops.

How late and how much are you adding? Some of the volatile compounds that we associate with hop flavour and aroma will quickly dissipate at 212F.

GT

The reason I asked is, I've brewed several times using late hops additions and it seems that I don't get much flavor and aroma. I thought it may be that I'm not chilling fast enough, but I'm getting below 190 in a matter of a couple minutes. I guess I just need to use more hops.

You have to think of hops as being two different ingredients: bittering and favor/aroma. The alpha acids isomerize in the boil, but the flavor and aroma oils are driven off by heat. The oils have a broad range of weights and the lighter they are, the more easily they dissolve and dissipate. That's why dry hopping is so important for maximizing aroma.

You have to think of hops as being two different ingredients: bittering and favor/aroma. The alpha acids isomerize in the boil, but the flavor and aroma oils are driven off by heat. The oils have a broad range of weights and the lighter they are, the more easily they dissolve and dissipate. That's why dry hopping is so important for maximizing aroma.

That's a good way to think about it.

Have a read through this article it may give you some ideas for your next batch

Back