Target SG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah

Reaction score
I am currently exhausting my reading resources trying to figure out how to come up with the target SG. Is there a style book which gives you all the SG's? is there a math formula that gets you there? I'm reading the book designing great beers and although it mentions it it doesn't tell you how to get there. I'm FN lost any help would be great.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Are you asking about what the range of target SG is for a particular style, or you asking how to determine the estimated SG from a recipe, or ?

Jim

Yes to both and is there reference material available for the SG or a percentage for a particular grain or fermentable?

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

When formulating a recipe, you have to pick an SG to start with. If you have a classic style in mind, the BJCP will have a range of SG's typical for that style.

Recipe calculators are pretty good for figuring out your SG from your recipe if that's what you are asking. I use hopville, it's free.

thanks all im have something to work with now. ill keep reading and use these tables as a guide and if you dont mind it ilk update yall' what i come up with BTY anyone know an SG for an blsck IPA?

thanks all im have something to work with now. ill keep reading and use these tables as a guide and if you dont mind it ilk update yall' what i come up with BTY anyone know an SG for an blsck IPA?

Alf said:

Follow Alf's link, you'll find all major BJCP styles. If you don't find exactly what you're looking for, you can extrapolate from it (like a black IPA might have the same SG range as an English IPA or an American IPA).

After you know the range of the SG for the style you want to brew, it is easy to use brewing software (like Beersmith) to estimate an original gravity from a given amount of grant. Some people do the calculations by hand, but the software makes it so easy.

Jim

Back