Strike water question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bd2xu

Reaction score
I now have a direct fired keggle MLT. To mash in 152 beer smith says heat water to 166. But if I heat in the MLT how do I calc that? How much will adding the grain drop the temp?

I tried setting the temp of the MLT equal to the strike temp but that didn't do anything

Tell beersmith not to adjust the strike temperatures for the temperature of the equipment (this is the default I think). It will then calculate the temperature drop for adding the grain only, and adjust the mash in temp accordingly.

Tell beersmith not to adjust the strike temperatures for the temperature of the equipment (this is the default I think). It will then calculate the temperature drop for adding the grain only, and adjust the mash in temp accordingly.

Where in BeerSmith do you tell it not to adjust the strike temp?

What I do with Beersmith is, Go to tools>>> infusion, From drop down box select initial strike and put in my info...
With a direct fired MLT, where all your strike water is preheated and your adding the grist to it,......MAKE SURE MASH TUN WEIGHT IS SET TO 0.00 (ZERO).
Then you'll be right on the money.

((((Pound of Grain X 0.05) + Strike Volume) X Mash Temperature) - (Pounds of Grain X 0.05) X Ambient Temperature) / Strike Volume

What I do with Beersmith is, Go to tools>>> infusion, From drop down box select initial strike and put in my info...
With a direct fired MLT, where all your strike water is preheated and your adding the grist to it,......MAKE SURE MASH TUN WEIGHT IS SET TO 0.00 (ZERO).
Then you'll be right on the money.

Thanks, trying this now. 24 lbs grain, infusion target 152, 30 qts water, says 163.1 with the MLT weight 0.

Back