Stone and Wood Clone:Protein Rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TandemBrewing

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am planning on doing an all grain Stone and Wood Pacific Ale clone/approximation on the weekend. Most of the recipes I see are calling for 60% two row with the remaining 40% made up with wheat, single hop Galaxy with plenty of late additions. This all sounds about right. My main concern is will that 40% wheat gum up my sparge without a protein rest? Most of these recipes are calling for a single temp infusion 60 min mash. I was thinking about giving it 20 mins at 50c to break down some of those proteins and gums before taking it up to 66c for the rest of the mash. Not a full blown decoction but retaiing a protein rest. Any thoughts on this? Is it a decent safeguard against a stuck sparge and will it affect the end result (head retention, body, clarity etc.)?

Cheerzen!

I've never fully investigated this subject, but I feel like what I usually read says that a short protein rest will improve your sparge and final beer clarity without reducing the body or head retention much. If you do it for longer, it can drop those, though, which is part of the reason that you'd use wheat in the first place. When I make beers that have a decent percentage of wheat, or especially rye, I often do a brief (say, 10 or 15-minute) protein rest. But you can also make sure that your sparge water is hot--at least 160F, though not hotter than 170F--which should keep the grain bed from getting sticky.

Back