Steeping grains in wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernlad

Reaction score
I plan to mash for ten gallons then split the batch to make a pale ale and a stout. My grist for the mash will likely be 2 Row/MO for a gravity of ~1.050
I have not been able to find any information on steeping grains in the wort preboil. All recipes/conversations talk about water volume and adding extract to the steep.
Are there concerns with steeping the specialty grains in the wort?

I did that once and had no problem. Dethbrewer's thread mentions "tea-bagging" the grains at the end of steeping. Different circumstance, but I found that it helped a lot.

Otherwise yeah, over 150 degrees and you should be golden imo.

This is an interesting concept and something I had never even considered before. 1 mash, 2 completely different beers. Thanks for the idea!

Can anyone that's ever tried anything like this attest to the results?

This is an interesting concept and something I had never even considered before. 1 mash, 2 completely different beers. Thanks for the idea!

Since I can do 10 gallon batches there's no way I'm going back to 5 gallons at a time. I don't always want 10 gallons of a particular beer so I decided to experiment with this.

I didn't look at the thread mentioned...but I've brewed like this before.

As Northernlad pointed out...you don't always want 10 gallons of the same beer. How do you think Keystone is brewed? Not to bring up a crappy beer...but keystone and coors are the exact same beer. They're mashed together, but keystone is the first runnings of coors.

Not arguing with you, but there is a much bigger difference between a pale ale and a stout than there is between keystone and coors, hahaha.

I had heard of splitting batches before and making them different via hop additions but I had never considered adding steeping grains before the boil. Just gives me another thing to think about when planning out batches in the future.

Back