Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Slightly sour, off after taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
jacksonbrown
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Default Slightly sour, off after taste

I'm wondering what this might be from. I have noticed it in my last two batches, a pale ale that's bottle conditioned, and a brown ale that was kegged. It's just a slightly noticeable, kind of sour, something's-not-right taste. Could this be due to high fermentation temps? Or fluctuation in temps? Anything? Please help... thanks!

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How long are you waiting to taste them....and does it improve with age?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-30-2008, 07:15 PM   #3
jacksonbrown
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

The Pale Ale has been in the bottle for four+ weeks now. And I actually only noticed it once. But it was the same off-ness I found in the kegged Brown, which has only been kegged for a week (brewed three weeks ago, so still young).

Primary: German Alt
Bottled: Kolch, German Hefeweizen
On tap: 60/- Light Scottish Ale

Old 07-30-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
Tonedef131
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I am also researching a similar problem. I have a kegged cream ale that sort of have this but it fades more every day, so it could be something that will take care of itself. I also have a hefe that just finished ferementing and I noticed it again, but it is very young and that is most likely the problem. But both of them tested slightly low on the pH, but I am not sure what a "too low" pH is. you can watch my thread to see if anyone has any knowledge on the subject.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=74389

Quick Reply