Skip work to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeRLynch

Reaction score
Anyone done this? Today is the first time I've actually requested a day off legitimately to brew. I of course have had many "sicknesses" in the past that could only be cured by brewing up a batch :) Today however, I pulled out all the stops. I've just put my 60 minuted addition into a batch of SMaSH maris otter and fuggles and at the same time I doughed in on an oatmeal stout. A brown ale is on deck for tonight, (once I get some equipment freed...)

Am I just insane? Or am I not alone? Should there be Brewers Anonymous meetings?

mike

I've done it a couple times. Its funny you mention it though because I'm working from home this afternoon. I figured then I could get my mash done in between working (and by working I mean surfing HBT)...

I've done that once. I wanted to brew a couple batches for a party and my weekend schedule had been packed not allowing any brewing time. So I took a vacation and did a double batch.

And monday I took the day off so I could be home when they came to install our new wood stove. Ofcourse that doesn't take much of my time so I made good use of the free time without wife or kid to brew. Several other household projects also got done.
Craig

Couple of times and am seriously thinking about doing it this afternoon. I have yet to brew in 08 because of a lack of time...

Glad I'm not alone :) I'm going back to work tomorrow anyway, so it's not like I tottaly punked out on my co-workers, but sometimes humpday goes so much faster when you know brewday is immediately following. Friday isn't bad either because guess what? On saturday I'm brewing with a buddy of mine! Planning is everything I guess :)

mike

I've never called in sick to brew. But I have requested time off (full day or half) in order to brew. Makes the work week that much better...less time at the actual job and it breaks up the week to do something you love not on a weekend or at night.

I've used time off to brew. I'm brewing tonight. 10 gallons of Bee Cave Porter coming up. I guess I'll get started bout the time you are wrapping up.

In case my employer is reading, I never ever ever ever brew while working from home on Fridays, and I most definitely don't plan on brewing a Kölsch or de-labeling any bottles tomorrow.

And I absolutely do not spend time doing laundry or watching TV.

I've been known to knock off early on Friday occasionally to get a head start on brewing.

Only once.

I have a one hour commute on a good day when there are no weather issues. One Thursday night/Friday morning we got hit with a big snow strom and judging from the amount of snow and past experience, I was looking at a four hour commute that morning. It had been predicted all day Thursday, so I made a starter that night, just in case. If the weatherman was wrong, I could always brew Saturday instead.

That was back in December, 2004. I was still doing exctract w/ steeped grains then. It was the birth of my Snow Day Bock!

What's work? Just retired and enjoying it. And homebrewer 99, take some of those saved up days and make some great brews. I hope those 18 months go fast.

last time i was sick i didn't really need to stay home from work, but i WAS ill :D

so i drove out to morebeer and picked up everything i needed for my RIS.

it was well worth it...that's gonna be a tasty brew!

:mug:

Well, I'm less ambitious than I thought I was going to be. I got the SMaSH done and I'm chilling the Stout right now, but the Brown is going to wait until the weekend. My brewing buddy convinced me to save it and go out for a few beers at the local brewpub instead.

God, imagine if this was work? I'd hop out of bed everyday with a big goofy smile on my face :D

mike

Back