Saison aging/mellowing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Liam-

Reaction score
I have a Saison in bottles for about 3/4 weeks. It finished super dry @ 1.000 and is perhaps ever so slightly harsh. I think the next one I brew I will try aim for an FG of around 1.004-6 for a little touch of sweetness. Anyway, what should I expect this brew to do over the course of time and how does a Saison's taste change over time, generally speaking? I know all Saisons will taste differently, but as a general guide, what tends to happen to them as they age?

What yeast did you use? In my experience 3711 produces a nice saison that, while finishing dry, leaves a nice mouthfeel as well. The last one I did I kept around 75F and it turned out very nice and balanced. Yours should mellow a bit more over time.

I used 3711 yeast. If I wanted it a tiny touch sweeter next time, should I put in less honey or should I increase mash temp or both?

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Both of these things could help. I have a 3711 saison going that i mashed at 152 although at the end of the mash it was 148. I used no simple sugars. I'll try to remember to let you know where my FG ends up.

My saisons usually hit their stride after 3-4 months. Lots of variables, but that's my personal experience. The ones I brew at the beginning of summer and drink at the end are always better than the ones that get tapped right away.

Both of these things could help. I have a 3711 saison going that i mashed at 152 although at the end of the mash it was 148. I used no simple sugars. I'll try to remember to let you know where my FG ends up.

That would be great, thanks.

That would be great, thanks.

So it's been about 2.5 weeks since I pitched the yeast. My grain bill was about 78% pilsner and 22% wheat. No simple sugar. According to my notes my starting mash temp was 153 and my ending was 145 - 150 (??) I think I was seeing some big differences depending on where I stuck the thermometer. I fermented at 67-68.

So I might not have mashed terribly high. But my gravity reading was 1.001. So I think simple sugars for the purpose of drying the beer out is not needed for 3711. I wanted some sweetness as I intend to add a crap load of peaches to this beer. Next time I'm gonna mash at like 158 or something. Although I wonder if that would even make a difference with this yeast. If I had to bet, I'd say it won't. Maybe this had been discussed already in the 3711 mega thread.

Back