RIMS, HERM, or Infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewagentjay

Reaction score
So,

I'm a new home brewer. I have 4 extract batches of beer and some cider under my belt.

I was told by SWMBO that if I want to go from my dream then to do it...

So I'm doing some ground research before I start the process of opening up a brew pub....( I hope to start a brew pub like Red Oak had in Greensboro NC here in my local area) I have no plans to go to a micro brewery as they have done but you never know.

So I'm studying equipment. I'm going to start into AG now at home. I see the RIMS systems & HERM systems (tree). I read that simple Infusion with a insulated mash tun seems to be what Commerical uses as well as it's simple of the methods.

Is this true? Is it some what true? I figured HBT is the way to get answers.

I did read one post on RIMS vs HERM vs some other tree types.....

Not sure if Infusion was in there.

So any thoughts....

My current plans are to build a AG setup at home or buy a AG setup that I can later use as my Pilot Brew House at the Brew Pub?

Any suggestions?

Side note I'm also debating on bbl size of my brew house for pub... Any thoughts?

Can't wait to get some good feed back. Thanks.:rockin:

Opening a brewery is a huge operation. If you can pull it off, awesome. I'm sure most of us here would love to do it, but we've all found out it's not as possible as you'd think. I heard something like 1 in 5 new breweries fail within a year. BUT...I don't mean to be a downer, so good luck!

As for your system...homebrew is really so much different from commercial that you'll never really get a feel for it unless you dive right into the big rigs. BUT, moving to AG will give you a better understanding of brewing and whether or not you want to continue. Infusion mashing is simple and it'll get you into the general aspect of AG brewing. It doesn't require as much money or equipment as the other two, so it's a nice starter setup. Eventually though, everyone will want a one, two, or three tiered system built to their liking.

RIMS and HERMS systems are nice, but they cost money. If I had to choose one, I'd go with HERMS because you don't have any risk of burning your wort. If you've got money to burn, I'd suggest checking out a system like Sabco's. It's going to be something that you'll use even in the commercial enviornment for creating test batches.

The size of your brewery also depends on demographics. How many people in your area would be willing to drink at a local brewery? What kind of crowd are you after? There's a TON of research that needs to go into building a brewery. I would say a 7bbl system is perfect for a small brewpub, but that's based on my area. If you brew good beer, you can always upgrade in the future rather than risk it all on a business that may not make it.

Yes I'm scared and excited all at the same time...I have always planned on having a Bar?Pub....I really enjoyed all the brew pubs I went too and I think if I'm going to open a bar/pub it has to be what I would like so thus a Brew Pub....

I'm still in the research phase....I understand it could fail but if I do nothing it will certainly fail........

I'd suggest checking out a system like Sabco's. It's going to be something that you'll use even in the commercial enviornment for creating test batches.

The size of your brewery also depends on demographics. How many people in your area would be willing to drink at a local brewery? What kind of crowd are you after? There's a TON of research that needs to go into building a brewery. I would say a 7bbl system is perfect for a small brewpub, but that's based on my area. If you brew good beer, you can always upgrade in the future rather than risk it all on a business that may not make it.

Well I have contacted Sabco and one or two others for just that type of Pilot Brew House setup & I'm looking at a 3.5 bbl system as I don't want to again go to far to fast....

Catch is I want to display a brew system at some point in the pub.....

So much to do but I feel I have to push this so that I don't let my self put it off because again only I can make this dream happen.

So much to do but I feel I have to push this so that I don't let my self put it off because again only I can make this dream happen.

That's ROCK:rockin:

I feel super inspired to brew more beer right now!

Dream BIG...good luck brewagentjay!

Location, Location, Location.

Well I have contacted Sabco and one or two others for just that type of Pilot Brew House setup & I'm looking at a 3.5 bbl system as I don't want to again go to far to fast....

Catch is I want to display a brew system at some point in the pub.....

Most breweries don't display the brew system. You'd probably just buy a few shiney fermentors and display those.

I bought my system from the Pol- it's a 5 gallon HERMS and I'm happy with it.

However, if money was no object, I'd get something different. I would get a 15 gallon system, with a tippy-dump for the MLT, and all of the kettles would be Blichmann. There would be a false bottom in the BK, and a therminator plate chiller. I like this for a premade system:
http://www.brew-magic.com/bm_issues.html

but I'd still want a tippy-dump on the MLT. I like morebeer's sculpture with the tippy dump. Dumping a full MLT is a pain.

I really like this design: http://morebeer.com/search/103471

Most breweries don't display the brew system. You'd probably just buy a few shiney fermentors and display those.

Good Idea. I want to be able to work in peace when I'm brewing. Nice copper Covered or Plated Fermentors would be nice display.....Right next to the brewpub shuffle board......:rockin:

However, if money was no object, I'd get something different. I would get a 15 gallon system, with a tippy-dump for the MLT, and all of the kettles would be Blichmann. There would be a false bottom in the BK, and a therminator plate chiller. I like this for a premade system:

but I'd still want a tippy-dump on the MLT. I like morebeer's sculpture with the tippy dump. Dumping a full MLT is a pain.

Thanks I'll dig into both of those. 15 Gallons is a requirement for my Pilot System as I'll want a full 1/2 bbl keg as a result.....

:rockin:
That's ROCK:rockin:

I feel super inspired to brew more beer right now!

Dream BIG...good luck brewagentjay!

Location, Location, Location.

All I can say is Thanks!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna ride this dream as far as it will take me....Hopefully people enjoy a bar as I do and I'm in for a great ride.

Brew some for me....

Yooper have you ever thought about using a wet/dry vac to suck up the spent grain.

To the OP good luck on chasing your dreams :)

If you are going to think about a brew pub you should seriously think about some brewing schooling before you leap blindly into this dream. From there you will gain the knowledge to know what setup will suit your needs 3.5 bbl might not be what you are really looking for
Siebel Institute
http://www.siebelinstitute.com/

UC Davis
http://extension.ucdavis.edu/unit/brewing/

American Brewers Guild
http://www.abgbrew.com/

Awesome, Didn't know I had that option. I was going to spend time with a brew pub owner I know. Yes I'd love a school. :ban::rockin:

So with a little help from HBT I know I can do this.

:rockin: If things go well I'll be able to enroll in American Brewers Guild distant learning program (IBS&E). :rockin:

:rockin: If things go well I'll be able to enroll in American Brewers Guild distant learning program (IBS&E). :rockin:

Sounds like a good plan! You do want to spend that time with the brewpub owner too. Never have enough help and learning experience when it comes down to taking on a project such as your dream.

It is definitely a great dream, hopefully you can turn it into a successful reality!

You guys are awesome....I'm getting way more information faster than on my own. :rockin:

Back