Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > rice hulls in wheat beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2010, 03:37 AM   #1
sambogi76
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default rice hulls in wheat beer

Im going to make my first AG wheat beer in a couple of days and forgot to order rice hulls. The recipe is 60% wheat... do you think im going to have big problems with stuck sparges without the rice hulls?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2010, 04:07 AM   #2
archiefl98
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Depends on a few different things:

1. What's your manifold style? I used an 18" long 1" diameter water heater supply hose stainless braid -- couldn't get a stuck sparge if I tried. When I used the 1/2" diameter 12" long sing supply braid, it clogged all the time.

2. What's your crush look like? If it's flour, then it'll be more likely to get stuck. If the husks are all in tact from the barley portion, then you will have a better filter bed and less likely to stick. You can condition your malt if you mill it yourself (read Malt Conditioning in the wiki)

3. Watch your sparge speed. Slower will be less likely to stick -- especially when setting the grain bed.

I just did a honey wheat with a nice fine dusty/floury crush and no rice hulls today -- 4 lbs pale malt, 5 lbs wheat malt -- and no stuck sparges. If I still had that tiny braid I wouldn't have even bothered trying as the tiny braid ALWAYS got stuck!

Fermenting: A few beers

Conditioning: A few other beers
Bottled: A few more beers
Kegged: Many beers
Next Brews: More beers than you could imagine

Old 02-28-2010, 04:11 AM   #3
samc
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 29

If your milling your own grain, look into conditioning your grains. Several recent threads on the subject and it really does improve the crush to the point of not needing rice hulls.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #4
flananuts
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed an American Wheat with 5 lbs 2 row and 4 lbs wheat malt. I crush in a barley crusher at factory setting (.30 diameter i think). I normally recirculate for heat mgmt but for this one I had to go old school. when vorlaufing before taking runnings I ended up with a lot of cream of wheat mush first but after the vorlauf i got great results. I did condition my 2 row and didn't use rice hulls. I also had to do a double decoction to do hit my temps. I wouldn't say I had a stuck mash however my MLT false bottom did clog up once or twice.

Old 03-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 653 Times on 473 Posts
Likes Given: 486

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambogi76 View Post
. . . do you think im going to have big problems with stuck sparges without the rice hulls?
Probably not, but why chance it? Throwing in a couple of handfulls can't hurt.

Billy-Klubb

Quick Reply